Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have purchased two different aftermarket front diff covers. One from Mag-Hytec and one from Oasis Alloys. In both cases on my bone stock truck the from sway bar interferes with the diff covers. So I am back to the stock beauty. I am sure these two companies have designed a product that works and I have no doubt that my truck is the culprit in being somehow out of spec, but likely within tolerances. How can Dodge get so many things wrong on a truck? I am so frustrated in this vehicle it is mind boggling. Just trying to fill the diff after replacing the stock cover is an exercise in extreme patience. :CRY::CRY::CRY:

I should have bought a Chevy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You deserve a Chevy. You buy aftermarket diff covers and blame Dodge when they don't work. I bet you complain about fuel prices too after running 90 mph all over the place. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
In both cases on my bone stock truck the from sway bar interferes with the diff covers.
The sway bar? On mine it is nowhere near the diff cover... maybe the track bar or mount.

If you take a picture and some measurements we can compare trucks and figure out if the problem is the truck or the product.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You deserve a Chevy. You buy aftermarket diff covers and blame Dodge when they don't work. I bet you complain about fuel prices too after running 90 mph all over the place. :thumbsup
yeah he prolly expects all aftermarket products to work the first time! kinda like expecting 40 mpg out of these trucks!

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
If you have nothing good to say, THEN MOVE ALONG.

If you would like to help him resolve his matter, then please do so in a polite manner.

Thank You

·
UNDERCONSTRUCTION
1,333 Posts
i thought those diff covers had indentions so the track bar clears?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh. Some interesting and some completely irrelvant responses (Yawn). Meant to say track bar. Yes, the covers I tried did have indents to help clear the flattened peice of the track bar and all were represented to fit stock trucks. As I stated (since some mental midgets can't read), I believe that the aftermarket products were designed correctly and have worked on most trucks, esp. after speaking with the great owner of Mag. However, my truck is definately pretty far out of spec because the impact area on the front diff cover is not inconsequential and a significant amount of material was removed in very little driving. Mag Hytec was great and offered to machine it down to clear but I honestly think that after removing it from the truck that too much material would have to be removed to make it effective. I'll try and snap some pictures in the next day or two.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, and as I am sure this is how many others are feeling: I have owned 1 Toyota (1992), a 1995 F-150, a 1998 Silverado, a 2001 F-250, a 2005 Avalanche and I am 100% confident in saying that I have experienced more issues with my 2007.5 Dodge than I have CUMULATIVELY with all those trucks and certainly none experienced the major system errors that these new Dodges seem to be having, for some.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
either way there is a problem, whether is be your truck or the diff covers. I am assuming that you where hoping that somebody on here would have posted a response with the same or similar problem. Does not seem that any body has yet. I dont think there will be much that we can do with out any pictures. IF you can get a bunch of everything even with holding a tape measure showing how far the stock diff cover is from the track bar. at least we can measure it our self to see if there is a difference. can you measure how deep your after market cover is. from the sealing surface to the out side. I would think its more possibly that they sent you the wrong size cover. at least that would be the easy fix.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I noticed (while looking to see how close the sway was to the diff cover :D ) that the diff cover is pretty close to the mount, I can't imagine trying to install a thicker aftermarket cover on there without some issues.

The flipside of things is that those covers are usually installed on lifted trucks and clearance isn't an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts