Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing a lot of trucks jelling in the Northeast here because it's been mostly in the low single digits for about 2 weeks. Going to drop well below zero this weekend here and I'm a little nervous.

Never had an issue before and I always used Howes treatment (I've been putting in extra recently). I deleted my fuel heater so I'm a little nervous with it being this cold.

Most of the brand new and other common rail trucks are the ones jelling. Lot of fass and airdog equipped trucks as well.
I'm sure the finer filters aren't helping them out. Pretty the fuel in our trucks running through a warm mechanical lift pump and high pressure Injection pump helps a lot to warm the fuel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
North Dakota, run #2 and dump in the white bottle (Power Service Brand me thinks). We have been below zero a few weeks, some nights down to -26. Starts like a cold diesel but after a few minutes runs good. I have been dumping in twice recommended amounts when it gets in the minus ranges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had mine gel up over weekend in vt. Was -10 one night. It started ok , stalled a few times then stayed running but when I stepped on gas to go it wasn't going anywhere. Just kinda kept along. Pulled over let it run a bit then wouldn't go over 30. Mile or 2 up the rd it was fine. Next night was -20 and had it plugged in. Started no prob but after a couple min it stalled and wouldn't stay running. Had to heat rear fuel filter then ran fine. Obviously my rear fuel filter heater is not working but the dealers here on long island are clueless about it. They are telling me that they had to have corrected the heater issue since it was a prob in 2013/14. I have a 2016. Anyone having trouble with rear fuel filter heater on a 2015/16/17?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use #2 diesel year round, treat it with grey bottle power service at 1 oz per 3 gallons in warm weather, and 30 degrees or colder use white bottle power service to prevent jelling, 1 oz per 3 gallons will keep you safe to -10 degrees, 1 oz per 2 gallons diesel will be good for at least -30 degrees, colder than that I'm not sure, speaking from experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
I believe the newer trucks have filter heaters, unlike ours which are pretty much worthless. If you are using anti-gel additive then I think you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Make sure you've got clean (newer) fuel filter in the truck. If you have the opportunity for straight #1 diesel - I put that in when it gets below zero - usually mix with #2. #1 has a lower cloud point. Mix as you feel necessary, can run straight #1 also, lower mileage though.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed my filter this fall and always used Howes treatment. So far so good. Looks like I got one more cold weekend than it will be back in the 30s

·
Registered
249 Posts
What do you guys experience when the fuel gels? No start? Mine had only sat for about 5 1/2 hours today, but it was whole 2 degrees when I started it. Fired up 2nd crank but had an uneven miss throwing all kinds of white smoke that slowly went away after about a minute of me idling up and down. After that there was almost no haze at all. Never had this happen before but I think this is the coldest its been started unplugged. I'm thinking I may need some anti-gel additive.
Edit: When it has no power are your trucks throwing tons of white smoke? I just now read how other's won't have power when the fuel gels

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the truck was just cold and warming up.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Gelling up is just like running out of fuel or having a stopped up filter, you lose power to a point the truck will only go so fast, as it get worse it'll get to a point where the engine will only idle, when it's completely gelled up the engine will die and not restart.
Haven't had it happen in a pickup but twice in a semi, once the cross over line between the tanks gelled and I run the other tank out of fuel, suction line was in the left tank but the gauge was in the right tank, gauge showed 1/2 a tank of fuel.
Other time the filter gelled.
Most northern truck stops have blended fuel during winter months but when it got real cold I'd add some Howes or Power Service for added protection.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I suppose it could have just been cold but from the way it was billowing smoke like crazy across the whole parking lot, one of my thoughts was that the timing had slipped since it didn't improve for what seemed like a good 2 minutes. I'll have to add some white bottle power service to rule out gelling as an issue.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Filled up the old girl with summer diesel late August/early September, and some lubricity additive meant for summer.

Overseas trip return got delayed, got back to a hard freeze of a consistent -41 between Christmas & New Years.

Started, idled for a minute, then died. Nothing came out of the water separator drain.

Dumped a quart of Diesel 911 in the tank, left overnight, pointed the Webasto exhaust at the fuel filter canister, and set the Webasto timer for 60 or 120 minutes the next morning, had warmed up to a pleasant -40.

With a couple of injector nuts cracked open for a few seconds, she fired right up without the grids cycling, the coolant temperature was at around 135 after the Webasto cycle.

Idled her for 30 minutes, went for a couple 200 mile drives & refilled the 3/4 tank used up with winter diesel & a double dose of Schaeffer's AllSeason with deicer/antigel SoyShield.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts