Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
New pics of the left side progress, got too tired and back hurting too much to finish tonight. I'll get back on it tomorrow.

And, the rotor that needs to be cleaned up. Had to set the hub and rotor on a couple of 4x4 pieces and beat the hell out of the old hub to get it to separate from the rotor.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Hmm...

Not sure which one you're seeing. The ones I bought were 141 each, looked at 4x4 but they were more, like 205 IIRC.

I am finding that the ABS sensor harness is shorter than the originals, made the right side work but may swap the old one over on the left. Plus I'm having a hell of a time getting the little red release tab on the connector to move. Hate those damn things.
My bad. Your figures are correct. I saw the correct number and wrote it up for $100 extra. But the idea is still the same. Both have a splined hub we can probably consider identical ( they sure look the same) but they’re $65 different in price.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My bad. Your figures are correct. I saw the correct number and wrote it up for $100 extra. But the idea is still the same. Both have a splined hub we can probably consider identical ( they sure look the same) but they’re $65 different in price.
After messing with this stuff today, it has me wondering if those other hubs had sensors with a longer harness.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sitting here contemplating this repair, something that strikes me as funny, the wheels have 8 lugs holding them on, but the part that they bolt to only has 4 bolts holding it on! And, those bolts are about the same size as the lug studs. Is one or the other of these, over-engineered or under-engineered??? :unsure: :LOL:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sitting here contemplating this repair, something that strikes me as funny, the wheels have 8 lugs holding them on, but the part that they bolt to only has 4 bolts holding it on!
Don't tell the 5500 guys, you'll totally crush their 10 lug pride!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sitting here contemplating this repair, something that strikes me as funny, the wheels have 8 lugs holding them on, but the part that they bolt to only has 4 bolts holding it on! And, those bolts are about the same size as the lug studs. Is one or the other of these, over-engineered or under-engineered??? :unsure: :LOL:
Is the hub not machined to be held in the spindle as well? Also more lugs would be geared more towards the rotational force as well I’m guessing.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The 4th gens aren’t as tight a fit between the hub and spindle as the 3rd gens, but I believe you’re correct about rotational forces.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
All done except putting the wheel/tires back on and taking a test drive.

And look how great that rotor came out after it got all cleaned up, you'd swear it was a new one... :unsure: :LOL:

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well...

Drove it around the neighborhood, seemed okay, so went out to the county road and ran down toward town. Got up to about 60 and she started to shake, then suddenly both wheels came off and went in different directions!

Strange thing is it was the rear wheels! 😲

I never even touched them during all of this!:mad:

Nah, all's well, everything working as it should and no ABS light, which I was kind of worried about with swapping over the old sensor.

Now, it is also fuel filter change time, but I am out of umph, wouldn't someone like to come over and change them for me please???🙏

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,848 Posts
I think I'll start putting $5 a week away for that repair my back hurts just looking at the pic,s
Excellent strategy @Gary Morency (y)
My $645 a month truck payments are finally over this coming March. I plan to open a truck disaster savings account and continue to put that $645 in the bank every month so that as my truck disintegrates (turbos, actuators, wheel bearings, sensors, emissions equip, etc...), i‘ll have a source of funding to keep the truck alive.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts