Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

An angry 6.0 owner

4371 Views 54 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  northstarfire0693
Hey all, I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me on the 5.9 cummins from 03-06; mainly because they are still a little under warranty and relatively priced good plus gotta have a 6spd and lastly I love the big rig sound :party018: Now Im not new, well yea not to new with diesels as I own an 04-f250-Fx4 with a six inch lift and sct tunes for over a year now and so far I'm just left unsatisfied. Crusing on the highway it doesn't feel right, engine feels overworked? and handling at 70 is sluggish mind you It's in tip top shape. I don't ever work my truck and my max payload reached for it is less than 300lbs. I don't really want to go back to gassers unless its a cobra but I'm a truck man and really love diesel. To the point could you guys give me pro's and con's of the dodge cummins? 6.0's are prone to head gaskets so what's the 5.9's achilles heel? Any major gains of owning a 2wd vs 4wd? As with the ford I would rarely use the dodge for work, any potential problems in that area? Thanks for the help :yourock:
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· SootCloudMaker3
5,432 Posts
Main thing with the Dodges are the auto's being way under powered. If your looking for a 6 speed that is your best bet. A clutch would be the first thing if your wanting to put any power to it. Other then that it just depends on what you want out of your truck power wise. You put a clutch and a set of gauges in and i would say your good for a while. Plus you would have quite a bit of speed to play with.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
To add to what he said, the biggest problem with these things seems to be the front ends, ball joints, axle front axle u-joints etc. I'd still take the Cummins over the Ford though, especially the 6.0.

I wouldn't change the clutch till it starts slipping though, I was fine till I got up aroung 450 hp, probly anything over 400 it might start slipping on the highway in 5th or 6th.

<edit>
Welcome to CF BTW! :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All around what I want out of the truck is reliability for one and over time, I'm pretty done lifting trucks but would like to add performance parts to it. Also with chrysler tanking would that effect buying a dodge diesel any? Thanks for the input's so far

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I came out of an '04 6.0 into my current truck. Facts, mileage 2 mpg better over the 6.0, tows way better, a little less refined but then it is a truck. The only major problems I have had in 100K miles has been injectors, but they were replaced under warranty about 60K miles ago and have been fine ever since. I have slipped my clutch with an extra 65 HP chip, but I disconnected it and last weekend I towed my 9000 lb camper from SC to AL and back without a slip and averaged 12 mpg doing it. Normal empty mileage is between 18 - 20 mpg. I say go for it.

· Registered
7 Posts
I used to be a 2003 6.0L powerchoke owner. I have a 2004 2500 4x4 QC Ram with the big "C". There is no comparison between the two trucks. I highly recommend a 2004 simply because the is no kitty on the exhaust. The engine and auto tranny is an awesome combo. I used to have "Blue Oval" running thru my veins. I should have switched to the dark side years ago:thumbsup:

· Registered
32 Posts
i have got an 06 ford 6.0 with an 8 inch lift that im getting ready to trade for an 06 4x4 3500 drw. cummins

· Registered
590 Posts
I would have to say I Love my Truck but If I could go back I would get the 6sp thats the only thing about mine I hate its a auto but the auto will hold power just as long as you dont go crazy with mods and Dog it around town all day. Good Luck on the hunt for a Truck man

· Registered
746 Posts
i got rid of my ford for my 06 ctd. very good truck. wont buy anything else....damn sure wont go back to ford

· SootCloudMaker3
5,432 Posts
I had forgot about the front end problems. These trucks do carry a lot of weight in the front. It was late and i was at work ready to go home. A bit tired for my monday.

· Registered
12 Posts
Why not have the best of both worlds and put a CR Cummins in your Ford? Have a real engine in a real truck.

· Registered
13 Posts
I am going through the same thing now. I am looking at an 05 4X4 2500 slt with an auto and edge already installed. 90-100K miles
What should I look for as far as issue with the truck.
Those who use these for family, how do the kids like the back? not much room in the quad cab compared to the crew. We will sometimes travel as much as 8 hrs per day.
do not mean to Hijack, but I think we need to know what to look for when inspecting the trucks.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have 4 kids and own an 03 Quadcab 3500....my kids range from a 5ft tall 11 year old to a 5 year old thats a lil over 3.5 ft tall and i NEVER hear a complaint out of them other than if it gets late enough they try to sleep and lay on each other LOL. other than those occasions they love it and im glad cause they would go before my truck would LOL j/k

· Registered
37 Posts
The biggest problem i know for sure on these trucks is the BS lift pump design. The fuel lift/supply pump is integrated into the fuel filter head. One of the most common upgrades is the installation of a FASS or Airdog supply pump which is an electric pump installed near the tank that allows you to do away with the factory lift pump. That and the front ends/front tire wear due to the amount of weight these things carry. All in all man pull the trigger and i promise you won't be sorry.:headbang:

· Registered
13 Posts
If I do this, want to try and get one that is not a problem. My family would kill me if it broke down. The 6.0 has only had this issue at home. But I look at the thing, and wonder how I will ever work on it...
Would you coose an auto with the edge installed already, or look harder for a 6speed??

· Registered
37 Posts
personally i would hold out for the six speed. Aside from the clutch upgrade these trannies have been proven to stand up to quite a bit of horsepower/torque.....buying a six speed minus the edge you are going to be happier and chasing a boat load fewer problems than you would with the stock auto and the edge box. Besides its alot cheaper IMHO to buy the edge and clutch for the six speed versus the georend (SP?) tranny it takes to hold up to these beasts once you start modding.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.