Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading

I recently (6 weeks ago) put amsoil in my 2006 dodge ram diesel truck and I went from 23.5 mpg to 19.5 or so mpg. I have no clue what kind of oil was in there before, I have only had the truck for about 10,000 miles now. I put in the 15w40 premium diesel oil. Any clue on why this would be????? I keep very good records of my milage, so I know it is not that. The only thing that is diffrent is the milage. I talked to some people at work and they said it will take time to break down the thicker oil a little, but it has been over 4000 miles. Please help

Thanks
Andy

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
your post is quite contrary to what most people see and post. I just installed a bypass kit and amsoil in my truck and havent had any mileage loss.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hmmm. I agree with Compcowboy.

I'd look else were. I have never heard of synthetics doing that. Be watching this thread.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks for reading

I recently (6 weeks ago) put amsoil in my 2006 dodge ram diesel truck and I went from 23.5 mpg to 19.5 or so mpg. I have no clue what kind of oil was in there before, I have only had the truck for about 10,000 miles now. I put in the 15w40 premium diesel oil. Any clue on why this would be????? I keep very good records of my milage, so I know it is not that. The only thing that is diffrent is the milage. I talked to some people at work and they said it will take time to break down the thicker oil a little, but it has been over 4000 miles. Please help

Thanks
Andy
geeeeze i can hardly get 16 mpg :w:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ya thats hard to believe....at the worst it wouldnt have changed anything

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
sounds like something else is wrong buddy.. maybe winter fuel maybe you need airfilter, bad sensor, bad fuel, heavy foot?

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
you should try some fuel additave that might help clean your injectors out and get you back up where you where..

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
When's the last time you replaced teh fuel filter?? I would also recommend cutting your 1st Amsoil change short (it cleans out all the sludge/etc that the other oils left behind).

·
Registered
31 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? I change mine every 15,000 or less depending on the season. It sounds more like that than it does your oil. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I agree with geterdid. Something else is going on. The oil would not change it this dramatically and the oil change at worst should have left it at the same mpg.

·
Registered
992 Posts
23.5? Is this done by hand? I mean i can reset my overhead right as i get on the highway and get 24mpg but as soon as i drive in town it starts dropping dramtically and if i sustain highway driving it usually drops to 20. Hand calcing i usually get 18-21mpg,17-18mpg mixed hwy/city, and 14-15mpg city. This is on a 00'. Did anything else change, perhaps driving style or route? 19mpg is still pretty good for a cummins.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have Mobil1 1 synthetic and mine went up 1 to 2 mpg, I am getting 19.5 MPG

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
geeeeze i can hardly get 16 mpg :w:

Yea, me to! 16 - 17 is about all I'm getting and that's driving slow everywhere!

My Buddy has been seeing 23.5 on his over head, but we hand calculated his mileage yesterday and it was 17.8.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts