Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to pull the diff covers from my truck and use Amsoil for the axle fluid.

My manual states to use 75W-90 for the front AAM 9.25 and also for the rear AAM 11.50.

I understand that Amsoil protects far beyond conventional fluids, but I have also heard about problems wit hthe 75W-90 not being "enough".

Anyone have comments or suggestions on the weight suggested by Dodge?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the diff covers from my truck and use Amsoil for the axle fluid.

My manual states to use 75W-90 for the front AAM 9.25 and also for the rear AAM 11.50.

I understand that Amsoil protects far beyond conventional fluids, but I have also heard about problems wit hthe 75W-90 not being "enough".

Never heard it not being "enough" i run amsoil fluids in all my vehicles and will do so until i can't drive or die.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts

AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W90 SVG will outperform and outlast any other 75W90 gear lube on the market. If you to heavy or are giving your diffs more than stock power levels, I would suggest upgrading to the SVT 75W110 Severe Gear for better protection. I run the 75W110 in my '02 CTD.

If you tow constantly to the max GVWR of your truck and want the best protection for heavy use, the Severe Gear 75W140 offers the best protection for extreme use.

If you'd like to order and get a discount, shoot me a PM.

Thank you,

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

When I am ready to order, I think I will get the 75W-110.........

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Hey Chuck,
If I buy the sever Gear 75W-110, is there a need to buy the anti-slip additive also. I'm pretty sure I don't but just wanted to double check. Thanks
There will be no need to run the additive with your helical gear LSD.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Hey Chuck,
If I buy the sever Gear 75W-110, is there a need to buy the anti-slip additive also. I'm pretty sure I don't but just wanted to double check. Thanks
The nice thing about AMSOIL Severe Gear is that the Slip Lock additive is already mixed in, so if your diff needs it or not, you are good to go. This really takes out the guess work and hassle of mixing in separate Slip Lock additive.:thumbsup

-Chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
mixing brands

The nice thing about AMSOIL Severe Gear is that the Slip Lock additive is already mixed in, so if your diff needs it or not, you are good to go. This really takes out the guess work and hassle of mixing in separate Slip Lock additive.:thumbsup

-Chuck
Hey Chuck would there be any problems mixing royal purple 75w-140 with amsoil severe gear 75w-110. I have two quarts of the royal purple now.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i wouldnt mix it either, 2 qts will do the front diff. until next change. use amsoil in rear

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
It would probably be OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. And if something were to fail, neither AMSOIL nor RP would warranty anything with that mix.

-Chuck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Amsoil 75w-110 front and rear! :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I run AMSOIL Severe Gear SVT 75W110 in my front and rear. If I was hauling heavy loads constantly, I'd probably run SVO 75W140 in the rear. Severe Gear lubricants are the best fluids you can run in your differentials. We keep putting more and more torque to diffs that really haven't changed in technology much. Your ring gear is hanging on with about 2 teeth at a time. Think about how much torque demand is being put on a couple teeth on a gear at any given time. Having a sheer stable fluid that reduces differential temperature is essential. Good fluid to protect your differentials is cheap insurance compared to rebuilding diffs and being stuck on the side of the road.

-Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts