Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just put some amsoil in my difs at 30k miles, yeah I know I should have done it earlier, but WOW, Huge difference. My over head is reading over 1 mpg higher. I'd suggest anyone who hasn't switched over to do so now. Just expressing how impressed I am with it, and totally wish I would have done it earlier.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
Glad to hear it is working well for you.

It does beg a question. If we are already supposed to use synthetic fluid in the diff's. I also understand the benfits to using synthetic lubricants. What make the Amsoil version more efficient, more slippery, that other syntheics? If it is more slippery, what about our LSD drives? Just thinking out load.:confused013:
I'm at about 11K and will be doing my 1st change in the next few months.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Heck,

I see and hear so much about this oil all the time, I have been wanting to change not only my axles over to it but also my 68RFE aut tranny... Just getting the new truck of mine all setup right now anyway, I still have to add the mag-hytech oil pan to the tranny soon anyway. I may just go with the amsoil in the tranny...

I have to also admit, I find it hard to believe just by changing the oil to this product in your axles made this much of a noticeable difference... That is a huge difference if you ask me guys...

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
So I just put some amsoil in my difs at 30k miles, yeah I know I should have done it earlier, but WOW, Huge difference. My over head is reading over 1 mpg higher. I'd suggest anyone who hasn't switched over to do so now. Just expressing how impressed I am with it, and totally wish I would have done it earlier.
Synthetics are better but one mpg more ... my "I believe botton" isn't working on that one. The overhead computer is what most call a lie-o-meter, so take it with some salt. Glad your real happy with the out come.. :party018: Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
388 Posts
what weight oil did you use? ive heard that using a lighter grade helps fuel economy and power. the only thing i really haul is a$$... mabe a 4k boat on the weekends. i dont think i need the heavier oil for protection if i can safely run lighter stuff. :confused013:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Glad to hear it is working well for you.

It does beg a question. If we are already supposed to use synthetic fluid in the diff's. I also understand the benfits to using synthetic lubricants. What make the Amsoil version more efficient, more slippery, that other syntheics? If it is more slippery, what about our LSD drives? Just thinking out load.:confused013:
I'm at about 11K and will be doing my 1st change in the next few months.
The way it see it is, all that break in oil is, well, breaking everything in. All that metal that is coming off all the new parts, Ex: burrs and shavings from the gears; all make the oil thicker. Change your tranny fluid as well, I guarantee it will shift smoother. When I changed mine in my g56, it shifted much smoother.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Heck,

I see and hear so much about this oil all the time, I have been wanting to change not only my axles over to it but also my 68RFE aut tranny... Just getting the new truck of mine all setup right now anyway, I still have to add the mag-hytech oil pan to the tranny soon anyway. I may just go with the amsoil in the tranny...

I have to also admit, I find it hard to believe just by changing the oil to this product in your axles made this much of a noticeable difference... That is a huge difference if you ask me guys...
You can only use the Mopar ATF oil. Amsoil doesn't make or recommend there ATF oil for the tranny :thumbsup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Make sure you put the limited slip additive in the rear axle if you've got a limited slip.

I'm not sure if synthetics will work with a limited slip diff? Even with the additive?

Do all the 4x4s have the LSD?

It seems like I read in the manual that mine does but now I dont really remember.

Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Make sure you put the limited slip additive in the rear axle if you've got a limited slip.

I'm not sure if synthetics will work with a limited slip diff? Even with the additive?

Do all the 4x4s have the LSD?

It seems like I read in the manual that mine does but now I dont really remember.

Thanks Jeff
Friction modifiers are not required with the type of LSD in our trucks. It is a gear driven type of LSD.

You are correct that if it had clutches like some "posi" diffs that a friction modifier is required. The friction modifier helps stop the clutches from chattering in turns.

I found that the 4ord friction modifier worked better than the GM friction modifier in one of my Eaton hi bias posi units. I use it in my Auburn posi units also.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Friction modifiers are not required with the type of LSD in our trucks. It is a gear driven type of LSD.

You are correct that if it had clutches like some "posi" diffs that a friction modifier is required. The friction modifier helps stop the clutches from chattering in turns.

I found that the 4ord friction modifier worked better than the GM friction modifier in one of my Eaton hi bias posi units. I use it in my Auburn posi units also.
Correct! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

So if you have the modifier in, will it do any harm?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
You can only use the Mopar ATF oil. Amsoil doesn't make or recommend there ATF oil for the tranny :thumbsup:
Thanks dude, I didn't know that amsoil didn't make tranny fluid for the 68RFE... Thanks again

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
So if you have the modifier in, will it do any harm?
If you have too much with a clutch type differential you could potentialy render the clutches useless and the differential will act like an open differential. Changing the oil will usually return its normal operation. Most differential lubricants already have a modifier in it, so additional friction modifier is not needed. As long as there is no chatter around corners you are fine.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
how much oil do the diffs take? i'm about to order some diff oil as well for the front and back.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks I had no idea what type of LSD our trucks have.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
The way it see it is, all that break in oil is, well, breaking everything in. All that metal that is coming off all the new parts, Ex: burrs and shavings from the gears; all make the oil thicker. Change your tranny fluid as well, I guarantee it will shift smoother. When I changed mine in my g56, it shifted much smoother.
Oh yes, I plan on replacing all that at 15K. I did my oil early too. Already did a cooling system flush. Ummm, that wasn't by choice though. :doh:
Still, The spec's are to use synthetic oil already. I was going to put Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the diffs. I still haven't found anything to make me choose to pay the extra for a different brand (Amsoil) of synthetic?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hmm now which diffs do i have:confused013:
And how much is a pint? We don't use that here in canada lol

There is an Amsoil Distribution center in Edmonton. I'm sure all the bottles have the pint/liter labeled on them. Also just call the dealership nearest to you and get a hold of parts. Give them the Vin# off the truck. They will tell you what axle/diff you have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts