Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello what have you guys had better luck with? The amsoil bypass filters or the lf9208 enclosed bypass Venturi filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Without a doubt a real bypass system will out perform the filter, but the deciding factor to me was cost/payback. When I was driving 80 or 90k a year oil was less than $10 a gallon and a sample was in the $25 range. The benefit of a bypass system is extended drains, not much else. it would take a lot of extended drain oil changes to make up the money spent for a bypass system Now that oil is more expensive (and better quality) the cost/payback time is less but I no longer driver 80 or 90k a year. If I were to pull the trigger on a bypass system the last one I'd consider is Amsoil anyway. There are several better, less costly ones available.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
I'm sure you can build your own system for next to nothing. There's a port on the oil filter housing for it.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Okay, are you using a regular filter now
No, I'm using the Fleetguard LF9028 venturi filter. Filter changes at 12,500 and oil changes and oil sample at 25,000.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I used the amsoil a home made, and now use the lf 9028 I like the LF less fittings less room.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I use a home made system and a B164.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did the LF9028 on my last oil change. No modifying needed. It goes right on just like the original.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts

·
896 Posts
Centrifuges are the most efficient. They remove down to 1 micron. Hence why they put them on the big compressor motors in the oil / gas industry.

https://www.dieselcraft.com/

If I were to upgrade the filtration on my trucks it would be one of these.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
If I were to upgrade the filtration on my trucks it would be one of these.
Let me guess. You haven't upgraded because the cost is significantly more than the benefit.

·
896 Posts
Let me guess. You haven't upgraded because the cost is significantly more than the benefit.
No, I don't see the necessity for it. I just use amsoil and delete my trucks. i change oil every 25000kms. Always plug them in. Winter fronts. Do good break in periods on the motors. My 07.5 I sold in January had 300000kms on it and it was mint. Didn't burn any oil and I started to change the oil once a year which ended up being 30-40 000kms. I had an Espar heater on it which helped a lot.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
No, I don't see the necessity for it. I just use amsoil and delete my trucks. i change oil every 25000kms. Always plug them in. Winter fronts. Do good break in periods on the motors. My 07.5 I sold in January had 300000kms on it and it was mint. Didn't burn any oil and I started to change the oil once a year which ended up being 30-40 000kms. I had an Espar heater on it which helped a lot.
Brand of oil means nothing when it comes to filtration. If it did, why would there be a filter at all? Just pour in some Amsoil and drive? I don't think so. 25,000 KMs is only 15,500 miles. Class 8 trucks with bypass systems go 100,000 + miles between oil changes. I wouldn't expect an engine with 300,000 Kms to burn any oil, 186,000 miles is nothing with a modern engine. My original engine didn't start using oil until I was over 500,000 miles, and that was before I discovered bypass filtration. Oil of choice? Whichever was on sale including lots of Wal-Mart Supertech. Filters of choice? Fleetguard Stratapore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Consider this a thread revival. After doing a search for oil bypass filter, this thread was the first to come up. I have already found useful suggestions in previous posts, namely the use of Fleetguard LF9028 oil filter.

More that one person has mentioned the building or fabrication of a bypass filter system. Where would I start my search to build my own 2 micron oil filter? I understand the concept of pulling oil from the current filter housing and putting it back in the engine oil fill tube. Any suggestions for suppliers of a homemade oil bypass filtration parts would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts