Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
I know, I know…yet another Amsoil installation thread BUT, I think it turned out pretty well and the more pictures and dimensions floating around the better... might just save the next guy some time and hassle. The bracket was made from 3” wide, ¼” thick steel plate with a 90 and 45 degree bend. The thing is solid as a rock with absolutely no flex. I had to go with the angled bracket shown to avoid having the bottom of the filter hit the silver colored doohickey (can you tell I’m not much of a mechanic?) you can see in one or two of the pics.

Finally, a big public thanks to Chuck (Duluth Diesel) for all his help during the ordering process and Mr. Shagginwagon for tips and pointers when it came time to fabricate a mounting bracket.

Hope these prove useful to you guys thinking about going the Amsoil bypass route with engine mounting.

Kraig

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more after installation of the unit and filter. Oh, and never mind all the dust!

Reactions: nrscout

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Wow that looks great!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Appreciate it. :beer

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Good Job. I like how it tilts back for ease of getting the filter off when it comes time to change it out. The one thing I don't like to see is the by pass hose ran over the top of the radiator hose.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
I really like the mounting location, one of the best spots I have seen.

Good job!

One line goes into theoil filler cap, onthe valve cover.

Does the other line go to the location where the filiter typically was mounted on the block?

Does this system add a fluid capacity to the truck? If so, how much?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
That's a nice looking installation! :thumbsup

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Job. I like how it tilts back for ease of getting the filter off when it comes time to change it out. The one thing I don't like to see is the by pass hose ran over the top of the radiator hose.
Yup, I have to admit this had me a little nervous as well but could not figure a way around it that didn’t have the lines attached to the truck body or really close to the engine block or valve cover. The good news is that there is a fair amount of space between the lines and the radiator hose and after driving for a while doesn’t seem to warm up the lines. Thanks again for the comments.:beer

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the mounting location, one of the best spots I have seen.

Good job!

One line goes into theoil filler cap, onthe valve cover.

Does the other line go to the location where the filiter typically was mounted on the block?

Does this system add a fluid capacity to the truck? If so, how much?
Thanks for the comments and questions. I can not claim original design since I received a lot of info from guys here on CF. The line into the bypass unit comes out of the top of where the full-flow oil filter mounts to the engine. Don’t know if all years have it but my ’06 has a tapped port already there and all you have to do is remove the threaded plug, replace it with the fitting from Amsoil and you’re in business. Finally, yes it does increase the oil volume by 1 quart. :beer

·
Registered
225 Posts
Question, kinda related to the mounting. My 04.5 has a "thing" (dunno what it is) mounted to the engine in that location. Anyone seen some other locations for the bypass filter? Also anyone know what that thing is that is mounted there on my 04.5? My friends 06 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Right On! :thumbsup

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question, kinda related to the mounting. My 04.5 has a "thing" (dunno what it is) mounted to the engine in that location. Anyone seen some other locations for the bypass filter? Also anyone know what that thing is that is mounted there on my 04.5? My friends 06 doesn't have it.
Not sure what you have mounted there but check out the Amsoil website for alternative places to mount the unit. They have several PDF's with pictures.
AMSOIL By-Pass Filter Installations

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Nice job Kraig! I like how the bracket tilts back a little. Here's a pic of mine--

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
What the heck, do you guys wax everything in you engine compartment??!!!! My engine ain't been that clean since it was a 6 months old!!!:lol3: Nice install by the way, although I'd like it more with a MotorGuard attached to it!!!:w: Did you make the bracket???? If so, it's a sweet job!!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
That black box thing is your APPS or Accelerator pedal position sensor or something like that. It is cummins throttle by wire system. They moved it on some of the 04.5 and I think everything since 05...but I am not sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That black box thing is your APPS or Accelerator pedal position sensor or something like that. It is cummins throttle by wire system. They moved it on some of the 04.5 and I think everything since 05...but I am not sure.
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Another question. What is the difference between a Bypass Filter and a regular filter besides the micron rating? Could I get a remote mount oil filter block and a 2 micron oil filter and have the lines made and do the same thing?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok so I have been told that a Bypass Filter is just a 2 micron remote mounted filter. So now my question is where do I get a 2 micron filter besides Amsoil? I HAVE NO AMSOIL DEALER NEAR ME. Does WIX or some other easily atainable brand make a 2 micron fiilter and if so whats the part number? Also, I have seen talk about a flow restrictor. What is that and is it necessary? If so what size do I need?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job Kraig! I like how the bracket tilts back a little. Here's a pic of mine--

Thanks! Your bracket was definately the basis for the one I made up - you may recall all the PM's I pestered you with. Not sure what it is in my engine compartment (must be in a different place in yours) but I HAD to put a 45 deg tilt otherwise filter removal would have been impossible. Thanks again for all your coaching on the bracket and go Beavs!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts