Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a Amsoil By-pass filter system on my truck. I have the filter located just behind the cab on the flatbed (see pictures), I have about 8' of feed and 8' of return line. The problem is oil pressure. When I first installed the system I had problems with the system priming, the truck would not get oil pressure at all, so I cracked the lines, started it and oil went everywhere and I had pressure. Question is will I have the problem all the time or just when I change my filters/oil? Is the By-pass hard on the oil pump? Who has one and likes it? (Problem fixed on page 4)

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought you are not supposed to used the dual filter systems on the cummins due to oil pressure problems??
???? Really ???? Crap, someone pleas tell me I didn't waist $300.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Screw it, I'm not risking an engine over it. I'll put it on the 454 in the bucket truck.

· Premium Member
1,302 Posts
i thought amsoil came out with a remote bypass for dodge i would call amsoil tec support .

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The filter kit that I bought is specially for the Cummins.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The filter is mounted above the original filter location. Maybe its draining back, because my oil pressure takes a couple of seconds to come up.

· Registered
131 Posts
I have the amsoil remote on mine but spent the extra money to buy radiused fittings to hook it up rather than using the 90* fittings that came with the kit. If you use the radiused fittings it wont restrict the flow or pressure like the ones that chome wjith it do.

· Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Get a good oil filter and change it midway in your oil change interval. You will get superior cleaning and no agrevation at far less price to boot. And your taking a chance on ruining everything if say a hose burst?? The orginal factory system is more than adequate for 500,000 miles or more. You plan on putting more than that on your rig????

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
I have a Franz bypass oil filter and have no issue with priming or pressure but it's also mounted in the engine bay. Not sure how yours is plumbed but mine is just the second oil tap off the top of the stock oil filter manifold which shouldn't starve the engine at all. Maybe you're bypassing far too much oil to your filters? Only about 10% of oil pump capacity should be bypassed to the bypass filtering system any more than that and you may risk starving your engine. Of course don't forget you have another aprox 10% going to the turbo from the same oil manifold. Also, preload your new filters with oil before installing them, that will help as well.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
i think the problem with the setup is how high its mounted up. oil system wont keep a prime like that. it just simply drains back into the pan. i would mount it on a frame rail if i was you and put a nice shield around the filters.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think the problem with the setup is how high its mounted up. oil system wont keep a prime like that. it just simply drains back into the pan. i would mount it on a frame rail if i was you and put a nice shield around the filters.
Ya, I think that is the problem too. It was nice to have it out of the elements where it is though.

· Registered
5,841 Posts
That is the problem exactly. You've mounted it up higher than the sump of the engine. This will cause oil to siphon back to the engine. Either mount it lower or plan to bleed the system after changing filters. The AMSOIL Bypass Systems are top quality and I'd venture to say that there is nothing wrong with your system at all, just mounting location.

To restate: The AMSOIL Dual Bypass BMK-25 system is a perfect match for a 2nd gen Cummins. This is an issue with mounting elevation, not product quality.

If you would like to call AMSOIL Technical Services, their number is 715-392-7101.

Thank you.
-Chuck

· Registered
662 Posts
I would make sure the orifice isn't too big. I don't think you should be flowing more than a quart of oil per minute at idle...and that isn't enough to starve your engine of oil pressure. After doing some looking, that could mean a hole of 1/16th" or smaller.

If you have a properly sized orifice, bleedback shouldn't be a problem.

What would worry me is the oil getting too thick to flow through the orifice in winter.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
Ya, I think that is the problem too. It was nice to have it out of the elements where it is though.
yea. it is easy to get to there. heh. just like anything in life. anything that seems to good to be true...well ussualy is ha :banghead:

· Registered
662 Posts
Drainback shouldn't be an issue since the bypass system can only use as much oil as the orifice will allow. If you have the orifice close to the engine, you won't even have the delay of filling the oil lines before engine oil pressure builds up.

· Registered
5,841 Posts
Drainback shouldn't be an issue since the bypass system can only use as much oil as the orifice will allow. If you have the orifice close to the engine, you won't even have the delay of filling the oil lines before engine oil pressure builds up.
You are wrong in both posts, Joe. What you are saying would perhaps be true if the bypass system involved here was the BMK-21 single filter system, which is ONLY a bypass (low flow) filter.

The system we're dealing with here is the dual filter BMK-25 system, which is a full flow AND bypass filter on the same mount. This system takes normal, full oil pump throughput to and from the unit at all times since this is unit houses a full flow (Eao26) filter. Inside the unit there is a restrictor that limits some of that full throughput into the EaBP100 bypass filtration element. But since the lines to and from the system are large diameter for full flow, and since there is no restrictor in the line, this system can bleed back.

Oil flows into the BMK-25 and it all passes through the full flow Eao26 filter first. The majority of that oil goes straight back to the engine, while a small portion of that oil throughput is routed through the bypass element for finer filtering.

What you are seeing is the full flow filter draining back and the lines emptying. I bet if you spun off both filters with the truck off, the bypass filter would be low or empty and the bypass filter (EaBP100) would be full.

-Chuck

· Registered
5,841 Posts
To fix this problem, I suggest mounting it where I mounted mine. There is a cross member between your frame rails beneath your intercooler. You can mount it up there, which keeps it lower than the plate adaptor on the engine and it won't drain back. It is still an easy place to access the filters. If the bypass element hangs down too far for your taste, perhaps fabricate a skid plate. My aftermarket bumper more than protects my dual bypass on my '02.

-Chuck

· Registered
5,841 Posts
The other option is to install a couple small ball valves near the bypass element so you can shut them when you park the truck. Just remember to open them before you start it. This would prevent siphoning back since the siphoning is probably taking place over many minutes or hours. So if you are really in love with your mounting location, this would be another solution for you.

-Chuck

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.