Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

American Iron ball joint deletes?

1662 17
Camera lens Font Camera accessory Cameras & optics Movie

It looks like my ball joints are on their way out so I’ve been looking around at ball joints. Not sure I’m going to have my rig long enough to justify Carli or Dynatrak but I recently saw these American Iron AAM ball joint deletes on YouTube. Has anyone on here tried them first hand?
Reactions: panteragstk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,357 Posts
Reactions: krs

·
Registered
2003 2500 5.9 HO (4x4, Auto trans)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't heard of those ones. EMF are the best and they're not much more 2003-2009 Dodge Ram 2500/3500
That’s who I’m leaning towards if I don’t hear any solid reviews on these. I’m halfway between EMF and XRF right now. My truck has 240k and I’m not sure I’ll have it long enough to justify top dollar ball joints haha

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,357 Posts
If you don't have larger tires and a lift and drive mostly highway you'll be fine with OEM.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hmm. These look interesting and it's an approach I haven't seen for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Couple thoughts:
Those don't appear to have grease points... Looks like they need to be partially disassembled to maintenance them.
Are those rebuildable? I know Dynatrac's and Carli's are and have had support for those parts for a long time. Will parts support for be around when it's time to rebuild these?

If this is not a ball joint, what is it? Does separating the ball from the shaft make it better or add an additional failure point?

They look pretty solid but it would definitely be nice to have some more info on them especially from the website. A bit of history, maybe some more technical data...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a buddy running some in his jeep and while they're beefier than the balljoints they replaced they definitely need more routine maintenance at least in his application. not saying they're a bad product by any means but they're not what i would consider daily driver friendly. after about 2 years of abusing them he never broke one outright but blew the teflon out of them at least once that i know of on 42's with about 400hp and some serious bouncing. after that endeavor he cut the axle housing apart to swap to ford kingpin outer parts partially for beefier stub-shafts and partially because oem replacement kingpin parts are easier to come by on short notice.

TLDR: Offroad part may not play well on the street for you so just do your research.

·
Registered
06 dodge ram 2500 5.9 24v cummins
19 Posts
I've ordered the American iron ball joints and so far been a week and still haven't been shipped! emailed them and getting the feeling giving me the run around? starting to get pissed! meanwhile truck is outside sitting on jack stands waiting on ball joints! winter is coming and i want to get it done before winter gets here. I'm about ready to order something else, don't want to wait much longer!

·
Registered
2004.5 Dodge Cummins 2500 6 Speed
86 Posts
They have a Facebook group by the same name. Couple of guys with cummins trucks run them from what I read a few months ago. They all said steering is tighter than when they used ball joints, they are rebuildable. When my kryptonites go, I'm planning on these.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've ordered the American iron ball joints and so far been a week and still haven't been shipped! emailed them and getting the feeling giving me the run around? starting to get pissed! meanwhile truck is outside sitting on jack stands waiting on ball joints! winter is coming and i want to get it done before winter gets here. I'm about ready to order something else, don't want to wait much longer!
You could always cancel and go with these instead.

·
3,118 Posts
Ive read all I can about this type of kit and Id still like to know how these delete kits change the suspension geometry and effect road handling and tire wear.

Anybody??
It's probably just marketing. Similar to how they convinced thousands to install motor dusting intake systems.
The uppers are already a king pin and the pivot geometry wouldn't change without changing the knuckle or the axle end. It is a single line of pivot that doesn't oscillate. From the looks of them they don't look that well built. Especially if they have plastic in them.

If you look closely at them they are centered just like any other ball joint.

·
Registered
06 dodge ram 2500 5.9 24v cummins
19 Posts
You could always cancel and go with these instead.

yup already put in PayPal claim. may just order emf ball joints. winter is coming and i need this done! it's been a week already and nothing shipped??? and tried emailing them and getting the feeling just getting the run around.

·
Registered
524 Posts
yup already put in PayPal claim. may just order emf ball joints. winter is coming and i need this done! it's been a week already and nothing shipped??? and tried emailing them and getting the feeling just getting the run around.
At the end of the day, you know you can always get the best available from EMF.

I'm still curious to see if these deletes are worth it or not.

However, if nobody's using them, then that says a lot.

Reactions: krs
1 - 18 of 18 Posts