Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having problems with this sensor... I have replaced twice in the last 3 months.. It's basically tells you your temperature outside the vehicle... The other night when I started my truck up in the garage it told me right away it was 103 degrees in the garage...I live in Wisconsin it was like negative 10 degrees outside... And no my garage is not heated .... So then later on after work ( 12 hours later) I go to remotely start it and it will start but then shut off causing the engine malfunction light to come on... Am I the only one this happening to?? When does this become a LEMON LAW deal?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't speak for the second issue but in a previous car, the sensor wasn't facing the way it was supposed to and was picking up temperature readings from the engine. It was reading ambient temperatures as high as almost 200 degrees.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first I was told it was behind the radiator and then they told me it's in the drivers mirror....it's all under warranty... But that's not the point I guess... Fml.... Lol

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I had the issue once in the first week of ownership. They cleared the CEL so I could continue using my remote start since they weren't sure what else to do. I have not had another CEL for it since. When the CEL came up, I had just washed my truck in 10* weather, and I had been spraying the drivers side mirror to get the salt off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did wash it 2 days before I used again... Mmmm makes me wonder now...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have this a lot, not that high of a temp, but when it's 65 in the garage and 32 outside, it stays 65 until I stop/start the truck. Sometimes 2-3 times before it reports remotely close to accurate.

I see there is a fix, I just pulled this rig out of the shop after 4 days in.... Maybe I'll wait 6 mos until there is another list of "updates" available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
715 Posts
That seems to be the case with ours as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was having the same issue. Wild up and down temp readings and CEL. Took it in to the dealer and they ran several updates also stating they had seen a few with the temp issue. That's been close to a month ago and no more problems.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The new one seems pretty accurate so far, not sure where it's mounted, but on my old truck it was down near the lower driver's side corner of the radiator. It was always dead on. It was hard to spot because it was just a short black piece of plastic with a small two wire connector.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I checked ours a little more closely - seems about 10 under in colder temps (50's and below), and about 5 to 7 under in warmer temps (60's and above).

Reactions: Shattered151

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The new one seems pretty accurate so far, not sure where it's mounted, but on my old truck it was down near the lower driver's side corner of the radiator. It was always dead on. It was hard to spot because it was just a short black piece of plastic with a small two wire connector.
Mounted in drivers side mirror on the 13+ trucks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The ambient temp sensor on the 13 are in the driver side mirror by the little LED accent light. The only reason I know this I swapped to 2012 non chrome mirrors and they do not have it and I had to take the sensor out of my old mirrors and wire back in because the truck thought it was - 40 and would trip a check engine light

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Well, as it turns out, mine is not as accurate as I thought either. Compared to in/out sensors around the house, my Buick, and my old truck, this one in my new truck is about 2-3 degrees under at freezing, when it gets below zero, it's showing -8. I drove a 70 mile round trip to the dealer yesterday to have it fixed, and they would do NOTHING because it didn't "throw up a code". I asked him to just change out the sensor, and he said he couldn't because there was no code. I told him it was consistently reading too cool. Rather than take my work for it, he said if I wanted to leave it overnight he could compare it to vehicles on the lot. Not sure why he thought that would make any difference, the air temp is the same for my vehicle as it was for those on the lot. So, knowing I couldn't do that, I just drove it home. Anxiously waiting for Customer Service to call and ask how I liked my appointment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
mine is about 25 degrees off in low temps (15) or less. it always shows below zero even if its not. i haven't thought of it until this post, but will watch it more now!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts