Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of days the trucks has been acting like it is losing prime. In the past you get in the truck turn the key and almost instant start. Now if you don't push the pedal at start up it will not start.

On the way home I had it floored and almost nothing was happening. It did not rev the tach, no smoke. It just did not hardly go. I have thought the truck in the past really smelt like diesel. It did not smell any more than usual. I looked when I got home and there was no fuel dripping any where.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
793 Posts
mine would die sometimes randomly when you were driving it was a cam sensor. i had no trouble starting it though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the problem my 97 that it wouldn't start unless i pushed down the pedal. It might have to do with the injection pump. I took the pump off had it calibrated. Now it fires right up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What are the symptoms of a TPS gone bad? It was running great up until this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went and got my daughter. Played with the truck a little. If you keep it in neutral it is rev. If you but it in drive and stand on the brake it will only rev to 1500 rpms. After that you can keep pushing the pedal and nothing happens.

Just for the heck of it I stopped by Advanced on the way home to see what a TPS cost. $178.00. Almost sucked my self a wedgie.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check your fuel lines in the back of the motor. If they are original, then they have probably dry rotted and air squeaks in there. My truck does the same thing but it drives fine after i get the air outta the system.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Make sure the fuel shut off is opening all the way. Mine was doing simular to what yours is. It turned out to be a bad relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts