Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally towed my new 30' travel trailer, setting the trailer brakes. Current weight is 6350 lbs. I expect another 1000 lbs with water/gear. I'm driving at 60mph over a train bridge, medium steep, and with the pedal floored in 5th gear I'm slowing down to around 52mph. I had to downshift to 4th to pick up speed. No big headwinds either. Is this normal? With an 11,900 lbs towing capacity, I would have thought my half load wouldn't have slowed it down at all. What do you experienced folks think?

G

·
well im not the expert but my 12ver with the few mods ive done pulls my 38 foot 5ver just fine unless a huge head wind with steep grade do i have to drop to 4th i would start with bhaf to get more air hopefully the 24v guys will chime in for ya good luck

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
A stock 24v won't do much under about 1900 rpm's. What boost, egt's were you seeing up that hill?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
3:55 diff is a fairly tall gears for towing, probably has a little something to do with it

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You do say you are pulling a "medium steep" grade so I don't think that would be uncommon. A hard pull in OD might not be advisable anyway. Just MHO.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My 98 24v was a pooch towing. I added an Edge ez and a drop in filter. Before pulling I-24 in Tn up to Monteagle I would be down to 40. After if I hit the bottom at 62 I would hit the top at 55. The 98.5 24v wasn't exactly a hp monster @ 215.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I wondered if the 3.55 might have something to do with it.

I was seeing 24psi boost (it hits 25psi then drops to 24 and stays there when throttle is floored), post turbo(ya, I know, that's where it was installed...) EGT's of 800F, and FP of 7 psi with my new lift pump, 3 year old VP44. Coolant temp was a touch over 90C. Ambient temp was 23C. It runs at ~ 1900 at 60mph, 265 tires. I know to keep the 5th gear rpms above 1600 for the 5th gear nut.

Are these the type of numbers you guys are seeing?

·
Registered
368 Posts
i had a 96 12 valve with the 3:55's and it really could have used at least 3:73's for towing .

·
Registered
882 Posts
For the weight your pulling 3.55's are not your issue. I pulled double that.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Your numbers are where they should be. Like "ynots57" said The 3.55 gear is not a pulling gear. The 99 in my sig didn't pull real good when it was stock then i put in 80hp injectors and that took care of the problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Good to know I'm in the ballpark. I've pulled boats and utility trailers a lot, but am new to fair sized RV's and diesel 3/4 ton trucks. Boy am I having fun:beer

I've got a 4" turbo back exhaust on order. I've got Amsoil fluids for all the driveline, just haven't had time to install them yet. Next will be a programmer. Maybe thereafter an Icebox. I'll do things a step at a time to see what each mod accomplishes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your numbers are where they should be. Like "ynots57" said The 3.55 gear is not a pulling gear. The 99 in my sig didn't pull real good when it was stock then i put in 80hp injectors and that took care of the problem.
Hey Soot, are you running the stock HX35? If so what are your ETGs?

What differences did you notice power wise when pulling?

Thanks, Mike.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Yes I have the stock HX35 on it. With the waste gate unhooked it would hit about 30 pounds of boost and about 1300EGT's Pre turbo. They made a huge difference in pulling power. On hills that would pull it down it will now acelerate.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks. Last question - how long did it take for you to get to 1300*?

Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.