Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the truck:

12' ram 2500 4x4
srw
auto
35x12.5x20
15xxx miles
race mini max and delete pipe

ill be the first to say i've been around plenty of hot rod cars, boats, and know plenty on turning wrenches but diesel is new to me.

Got me a big tire tune, did the deletes running mild/2/no att just like everyone else and really like it, better mpg, cooler egt's, tad more power, etc. I knew full well from the beginning it'd get a little noise in the morning warming up till she did the full temp cycle and I'm fine with that I don't beat my rigs anyway.

aaaaaaand then here comes paranoid me. Start thinking I'm hearing just a little rattle going on just off idle like when leaving a stop light etc even when warmed up, everything else, smooth as i could ask for. you know though once you let your mind start thinking that you can hear something you can drive yourself nuts with noises.

norcaler ask me if its really rattling (probably because i doubt it is and he knows that) but tells me to try it out on mild/1/no att if it goes away. i'd say its pretty similar except it don't like timing on 1 power wise. Felt pretty sluggish, egts were up slightly, mpg's down slightly.

my question i guess is; deletes are going to net you a little more engine noise just from removing all those extra filters in general right? i hear everyone saying it runs so smooth (which i fully agree) and so quiet i guess I'm just thinking sewing machine quiet, no engine rattle noise period, like it was fully stock.

wish i knew someone local with more diesel experience who could ride with me, then laugh at me for being paranoid, then tell me to relax and enjoy it. seems to me everyone else is using it with no problems, i HIGHLY doubt my trucks odd man out.

thoughts, opinions?:confused013:

·
Registered
574 Posts
He buddy relax, enjoy your truck. I run the big tire tune as well. I've run levels 2 and 3 with mild fueling. I now run level 3/ street/ no att and love it! I get just a little gurgle when the engine is not up to operating temperature but that's it. I have a 2012 truck. The 2010s seem to be a little more sensitive to added timing creating a "rattle". Regardless the slight rattle is harmless. Trust me.:) What happens with advanced timing on a cold engine is the pre main injection pulse comes in so soon that pulse of fuel doesn't have enough heat to light off from compression due to cold cylinder temps. That fuel stays there and doesn't really combust until the main injection event. What you get there is a faster and louder combustion event with more fuel lighting off at one time, hence the rattle. Once the cylinder is warm, all the fuel pulses light off in smooth quiet fashion. No matter if the fuel burns loud and fast or slow quiet, I think the overall effect on cylinder pressure is the same. So no harm done. Remember the old mechanically injected 12 valve Cummins. They were loud! This was simply because the mechanical injection system is only capable of one fuel pulse which makes one big bang when it lights. I work on a logging job and I'm surrounded by diesels of all brands and work on them. Let me just say some of the common rail engines we have that are tuned for max efficiency sound like someone beating hammers together until they warm up. This is common. We've been spoiled to super quiet engines in our trucks because of the extremely low timing levels Cummins put in place to meet NOx emissions.
You, myself, and others have experienced what I call " I deleted my truck and have no warranty syndrome". When this occurs you listen for the slightest hint of something wrong and hear every little noise.:eek: Don't fear! Our engines are super tough and will last hundreds of thousands of miles with proper care deleted!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: imkindofabigdeal

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
the truck:

12' ram 2500 4x4
srw
auto
35x12.5x20
15xxx miles
race mini max and delete pipe

ill be the first to say i've been around plenty of hot rod cars, boats, and know plenty on turning wrenches but diesel is new to me.

Got me a big tire tune, did the deletes running mild/2/no att just like everyone else and really like it, better mpg, cooler egt's, tad more power, etc. I knew full well from the beginning it'd get a little noise in the morning warming up till she did the full temp cycle and I'm fine with that I don't beat my rigs anyway.

aaaaaaand then here comes paranoid me. Start thinking I'm hearing just a little rattle going on just off idle like when leaving a stop light etc even when warmed up, everything else, smooth as i could ask for. you know though once you let your mind start thinking that you can hear something you can drive yourself nuts with noises.

norcaler ask me if its really rattling (probably because i doubt it is and he knows that) but tells me to try it out on mild/1/no att if it goes away. i'd say its pretty similar except it don't like timing on 1 power wise. Felt pretty sluggish, egts were up slightly, mpg's down slightly.

my question i guess is; deletes are going to net you a little more engine noise just from removing all those extra filters in general right? i hear everyone saying it runs so smooth (which i fully agree) and so quiet i guess I'm just thinking sewing machine quiet, no engine rattle noise period, like it was fully stock.

wish i knew someone local with more diesel experience who could ride with me, then laugh at me for being paranoid, then tell me to relax and enjoy it. seems to me everyone else is using it with no problems, i HIGHLY doubt my trucks odd man out.

thoughts, opinions?:confused013:
My thoughts and opinions are for you to read the thread shown below if you're looking for further details:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...scussion/594147-why-behind-timing-rattle.html

Thanks

·
Yes Really
1,029 Posts
my truck does the same thing. its ok and safe just like these two guys have stated. The quiet trucks are usually running boxed tunes i have noticed from reading on here. i switched to the NC Tow/MPG tune that he did up for me and i emailed him about an hour after i took the truck for a drive. My truck went from very quiet and nearly no noise at all to having the symptoms of your truck. he reassured me it was all ok. then i reread the link he has posted and it kind of set me at ease. its just something we have to deal with if we want the better mpgs that these trucks can produce...roughly what i recall that write up saying. Your truck is not the odd man out because im in your boat as well! Good luck and hopefully you relax a little bit like I did after some reading and emailing around for comfort hahah

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
is there any 'learn' time after loading a tune?

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
Just downloaded NC tow, timing 2. No timing rattle at idle on initial start up. I could hear some faint timing rattle as I accelerated easily, but the coolant had only warmed up to about 150. Once the truck was warmed up thoroughly, I could not hear anything but power!

Initial 15 mile trip on eastern NC flat land, the EVIC showed 16.7, at 70 MPH. Returning, the EVIC showed 19.3, at 65 MPH.

No telling what I could get at 55 MPH, but that's not anywhere close to how I drive or tow. So, for me, it's unrealistic to EVIC 55 MPH for anything but fun!

With regards to MPH, people have to be realistic. As I've posted before, the decrease in fuel mileage is exponential as speed increases no matter what! You cannot tune away all the wind resistance on our oversized tire clad, rolling billboards!

While the NC BTT can definitely give us the power and fuel mileage, the EPA has managed to steal from us, you have to remember the laws of physics!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts