Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having this issue for the last year now, it’ll go away for a while and then come back, I just replaced with OE alternator, battery, and voltage regulator and have replaced them frequently will be good for a couple months then go out and overcharge again. The voltage idling is 13-14vdc, then when I give it throttle it will increase with engine rpm up to 16-17vdc, just replaced battery so as it sits it’s 12.6. Is there anything I’m missing that’s dodge specific in the charging system that could cause this?

·
Registered
393 Posts
What year model? Assuming since you said you changed the regulator that it is one that has the regulator on the firewall?

Alternators are not overly complicated. They only make power the regulator tells it to make. You may try the internal regulator mod, may have better luck with it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year model? Assuming since you said you changed the regulator that it is one that has the regulator on the firewall?

Alternators are not overly complicated. They only make power the regulator tells it to make. You may try the internal regulator mod, may have better luck with it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,224 Posts
The 2 main things that cause overcharging is a external regulator that the case isn't grounded, also run a ground wire from a regulator bolt to the alternator case.
The next thing that causes the overcharging is not installing a relay that the key on wire will pull battery volts to the regulator, that way the regulator will read battery volts not the under size wirings low volts.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Couple things I've read and experienced:

The wiring between the battery and regulator through the ignition switch sometimes fails at a connector at the steering column. This is the reason to install the relay as described above.

I had a broken field wire between the alternator and regulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts