6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank You in Advance.

Specs:
6.7 (of course)
4x4
G56 Transmission
SWB

Dang alternator has failed at 72,000 miles! Any advice on where to purchase a new alternator? Manufacturer suggestions?

Current alternator is OEM (Part No: 56028732AC) 136 AMP alternator. Are there any interchangeable alternators, with greater AMP output, manufactured?

Thank you again for your help.

BH

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
1. Did you bench test the alternator to verify it has failed?
2. I would get a shop to rebuild it if it failed.
3. Yes there are higher output versions available.

·
Registered
211 Posts
id call up advance auto parts, and ask them about alt. options. They can test ur alt while on the truck or do a 100% positve test on there bench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shainer,

I appreciate your response.

1. No, I have not bench tested the alternator. What else would cause the "check gages light" to illuminate, low battery level after driving approx. 1 hour at night, lights to dim (head lights and interior), windows to roll up slower than normal, dash board illumination lights to dim, etc... other than a failed alternator?
2. May sound dumb, but I would rather purchase a brand new aftermarket alternator with a lifetime warranty than have the thing rebuilt, only to fail again at a later date, and cost me more money to have it rebuilt again and again. (ticks me off that this is not a warranty item)
I am also curious why you suggest having the alternator rebuilt in lieu of replacing with a brand new, lifetime warrantied, part.
3. Could you list the higher output versions that are available and "bolt on" compatible with the 6.7 please?

Thank you again.

·
Military Veteran
2,093 Posts
My OEM failed at 39k miles. Tried the dodge house and they wanted a bit of $$ with no warranty. Advance sold me a remanufactured with warranty. Nice unit .....with warranty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
sounds like its your alt. go to the parts store and have it tested. if you cant make it to the store in your truck, take the alt off and have it tested. You will have to take the core in with you anyway.
i recently had a alt. go out that was only 8months old and only had about 4k mi on it. they gave me another at no charge.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
Because the remanded alts are a turd in a box with a guarantee sticker on it. Low volts could be batteries, wires, pcm, or alternator. I dont throw parts at problems and the rebuild I work with stands behind his work. He won't use a pos China rectified unless that is the only way to get it.

There are plenty of these reman units that are failed sitting on the shelf. Bench test it before walking out the door.

Reactions: purplepig

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bad batteries can also cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Im not sure if diesels have the same problems since we have 2 batteries but in applications with just 1 battery that can occur.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you can get to the parts store have them check both batteries and the alternator, could just be a bad battery. If one is bad replace both, always good practice to replace both batteries as a set.

Good Luck!
Cory

·
Registered
113 Posts
When mine started acting up, pulled it, checked it to verify
and had it rebuilt at a local re-builder.
(Auto parts houses did not have in stock)
Had it back in a few hours.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.