Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i asked this stuff int he alternat fuel forum area but havnt got any response so im gonna ask here too sense these are first gen. specific question. thanks!!

ok, so i looked through quite a few pages of stuff, and did a search but was kinda left with questions. so here they are.

in my first gen:
can i run WMO mix?
can i run biodiesel?

WMO is my big question. the guys over at oilburners.net swear by it. can my pumps and stuff handle a 5 micron filtered mix with diesel?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have ran motor oil, trans oil, 2-cycle, vegy oil, homemade biodiesel, and soy oil And still run soy oil because it is free. I ran these just to try them and ran all with no problems.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
youre in springfield ohio! me too! pretty great town eh? haha.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have ran motor oil, trans oil, 2-cycle, vegy oil, homemade biodiesel, and soy oil And still run soy oil because it is free.
Aloha 921stGen,

I would like to communicate with you independantly. I've got 100 gallons of WVO (soy) and an imperfect process. Maybe you can help me.

[email protected]

Sorry to hi-jack your thread acousticrawk.

Aloha, Dean.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ran B100 biodiesel in my 1990 CTD... the stuff ate through my seals on my lift pump and forced me to buy a new one... I'm sure if you take precautions you can do it, but remember that the 1st gens still have mostly all rubber seals and bio doesen't agree with these. The rubber compounds in the seals on the 2nd gens and up have a different compound and are a little more resilient to the solvent properties of biodiesel.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Read a post on one of the biofuels forums from a Cummins 'employee' ( only way he ID'd himself )...
Cummins only 'certifies' B10 in '93 and newer diesels.
That said - the 'employee' said he is running 100% WVO in his '95. But he did say that the seals and fuel lines were changed in '94 - so watch out if you have a '93 or earlier...
OH - the 'employee' said he had ~ 100K on WVO...Mileage went up ~ 5% and performance towing etc, went up ~ 5 - 10%...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so biodiesel is out of the question until we can fix the issues with the rubbe. what about WMO? will the lift pump and injector pump have and problems with it or will it damage them? i can get tons of the stuff, and even if i only run a 50/50 mix, thats wtill WAY better than the cost of diesel!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yesterday, 07:05 PM
wannadiesel
Administrator Join Date: Mar 2003

You need to use a 2 tank system and heat the WVO or you will have problems in the long run.

The stock lift pump won't last long, the diaphragm is not compatible with WVO or biodiesel. Replace it with a piston pump and you won't have any trouble.
386 HP/774 TQ on #2 only, 408 HP/844 TQ w/ water/meth - needs more air!
'85 300CD featuring lots of rust and over 310k on the clock.
'82 300TD
I kill KDP's for fun. 68 down, yours next? PM me for details.
Proudly offsetting the carbon offsets of Prius owners worldwide.

A little info on pumping different fuels.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
i replaced my lift pump last summer. would a newer pump handle wvo better?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
921stgen, what about WMO? i already have like 10 gallons! haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts