Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an Al's DIY Bed liner kit at home .I'll be doing the rocker panels soon. :party018:

My truck is a work horse so I'm having some dents and scratches on the tailgate.This is why I'm thinking about somekind of "coating" for my tailgate.So is it possible to coat a bigger surface and still get a smooth surface? I'll be using vinyl flatener...
I haven't seen any bed linings before so...please tell me more about my idea :thumbsup:

Well another option would be powder coating....don't know what kind of result I'd get...

thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm not familiar with Al's particular flavor of bed liner, but you should be able to get some semblance of a smooth appearance with careful application. Typically most of your texture happens deliberately at the very end for both spray on and roll/brush on applications.

If it's a roll/brush on application, definitely roll it on and be cognizant of how and where you start and stop. One smooth and long motion will be better than multiple erratic motions.

If it's a spray on application, spray everything from one direction and keep your spray angle away from your previous work.

All that said, typically people want the texture for multiple reasons. It will help hide imperfections, it will be less slippery, and I think it looks better. I don't think powder coating would give you the durability you're looking for. A new dent would crack that coating since it's not very elastic like a bed liner coating is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll try to paint a big piece of sheet metal with the left over liner.It seems to be not the baddest idea...I really hate to see more and more sratches on the tailgate :banghead:

thanks

Patrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts