Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I have another question for 4th gen owners. My truck came with the alpine sound system with the speakers in the roof and supposedly it is supposed to be surround sound. I was bored today and tested this out and from every sound source I've tried including DVDs, It just seems to be regular stereo. There also seems to be no mention or adjustability of any surround options. I ask then, are you alpine guys seeing any surround options on your radios or hearing anything that would back this up? I have a 730n RHR if that helps. If there's no surround sound in the truck, then what's the point of the roof speakers? Also, because it would be cool, is there a way to add the surround processing?

Thanks everyone,

RWB

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
From what I have found is that the surround sound they speak of, is that they place speakers up higher in the listening area (dash ,A-pilar) to raise the sound stage, so the sound comes from in front of you, not just the bottom of the doors like they used to and thats also why there are speakers in the headliner in the rear.Now when you compare this surround sound to your home 5.1 or 7.1 dolby surround sound at home they are going to be completely different because of the processing in the amplifier. This is the way I see it and the best way I can describe it through typing.

Now if you would like to add sound processing that is going to be able to handle the amount of outputs the factory Alpine has, you might want to look into a JBL MS8 http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-8-Series-Digital-Processor/dp/B003KN2TQ2
it offers a huge amount of options and processing power(and it should for how much it is). I personally think it would be a little overkill for a factory amplified system, but it will make it sound the best if can be.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense as far as placement and description goes. From what I've seen from Ram's descriptions is that the 1500s got the surround processing and the 2500s and 3500s got the speakers without processing. Don't know if this is true, but that 7.1 moniker makes it seem so. Oh and thanks for the jbl suggestion. I'll be replacing the stock speakers and amp sometime in the future and surround sound is a nice thing to have. I usually watch movies on long trips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.