Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
AlphaOBD VGT Calibration

Just wanted to weigh in on my experience using AlphaOBD for VGT calibration. I bought a new actuator. I'm using the MX+ scanner. I performed the pre-alignment with no problems. When I installed the actuator and tried the calibration, it would not complete. I waited several minutes and finally cancelled the test. I took the actuator back off and tried to do the pre-alignment again. Now it wouldn't work either. I started looking around in AlphaOBD and noticed that my battery voltage was only around 8 Volts. I had the hood open for several days and didn't realize that the hood light doesn't time out. I just figured with all the computers on these things that it would time out rather than drain the battery. I hooked up a battery charger and let it charge overnight. Next morning, I scanned for errors and had an error that actuator was not calibrated. Sorry I don't remember the exact code. I couldn't clear it. I performed the pre-alignment successfully. Installed the actuator and it also performed the calibration successfully. Bottom line, AlphaOBD will perform VGT pre-align and calibration, but your batteries need to be well charged. BTW, I have a 2013 Ram.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actuator came off with easy and Alpha OBD worked without a hiccup. Even left it hanging on the "install actuator first" screen for quite some time as we jiggled to get the gears aligned. Hit continue, heard some noise as the calibration progressed...Procedure Completed. Success!

The vein moved without issue. So now my fingers are crossed the codes go away for good.

Time for the coolant system refill and go time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to give my experience.... Tried a pre calibrated reman actuator from autoecu and it didn't last long. Went with a new Cummins actuator and tried calibrating it with alpha obd and mx+ obd and it wouldn't work. I had a friend at a shop read the codes with a Snap On DTC scan tool and it brought up more codes than alpha obd. He cleared all the codes and said sometimes you have to do that to get it to calibrate. I went back and hooked up the new actuator and proceeded with the alpha obd and calibrating went like it should. If I were to do it all over again I would either go with the updated actuator from Geno's garage that is plug and play or just go with the Snap On scan tool. This was definitely a learning experience as I had a similar experience where it wouldn't calibrate the actuator like nibs75 and that is frustrating. Hope this helps!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts