Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 97 with 268,xxx miles on it all of a sudden today my turbo started whining then i had no oil pressure so i shut it down on the side of the road and noticed a massive amount of straight engine oil spewing out of my coolant overflow tank what caused this? :confused013:

·
Registered
384 Posts
My guess is head gasket

Reactions: 1997 12valve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agreed:doh:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks guys im new to the diesel scene and this is a first for me ive never seen anything like this on a gasser i just hope my turbo is ok!!!!!! is started to whine pretty bad right before i noticed my oil pressure loss

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
kinda pissed!!!!!! i bought this truck thursday what a nightmare!!!!!!!!
if you got it not but 3 days ago i'd be going to the person i got it from going WTF!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh i did n he was like oohhhh sorry cant help ya now im stuck with a truck i cant use cuz i can not afford a head gasket AND a turbo!!!!!!!!

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
if you got it not but 3 days ago i'd be going to the person i got it from going WTF!!!
Its not the original owners fault , Gotta pay to play , Thats the chance you take buying a used vehicle :spank::thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i agree that it is a gamble but even if he told me hey it needs a head gasket i still would have bought it but hey it could have just went i mean when i got it it had a fueling issue and had been sitting for a month or so i guess ya never know it just sux that i prolly gotta buy a turbo and if he knew the gasket was bad he coulda saved me the turbo expense

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just think you can do the head gskt yourself and throw some studs in there at the same time, and should be able to find a used turbo for a hundred bucks. great learning experience.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well if a decent used turbo isnt a grand like i thought it was gunna be i dont feel so bad i would do the studs but we just had a little girl two weeks ago and i can only really spend what i need to on the truck right now otherwise i sure would

·
Registered
343 Posts
well congrats on the baby girl, post a want add in the buy and sell some one might have a used but good condition hx35 for ya. A g note will get ya pretty close to a aftermarket new turbo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
head gasket

when my truck got a overflow tank full of oil I had a bad oil cooler and a blown head gasket. Also use dawn dish soap to get oil out of ur engine and dont b stingy with it. and dont worry it wont hurt it we use it on dt engines alot. Also u mite be able to get a hybrid turbo cheap enough to afford it I know how it is on a tight buget repair. and if not i have several old hx35s around if shippings not to bad i'll make u a good deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well where exactly should i use the soap? in the radiator and flush it through the system? or down the water jackets? sorry if i sound dumb its just new to me. as for the turbos i would really appreciate whatever ya could do! ill get ahold of ya as soon as i can afford all the stuff and find out if the turbo is toast or not(assuming it is with the sound) i didnt notice very much shaft play tho

·
Registered
351 Posts
i think he means to actually just physically clean the engine of all the oil to work on it as crud and grime can make a hellish nightmare worse when putting things back together. sorry to hear about that, i'd cry if that happened to me and probably would be in jail right now serving life

1 - 20 of 92 Posts