Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on installing a allison trans in a Dodge I own a 94 D2500 with a sick auto I would appreciate any help thanks in advance regards Alex

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Destoked.com shop have the adapters and the stand alone comupter to make it work The allison 1000 would probably be your best bet i think
I can be done from what some people have said the price of the allison and the cost to do it is not worth it, you could build your trans to be better than the allison cheaper. thats my $.02

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
build your auto to support what you want it to do. Mating the Allison is no simple task, and has not been done to my knowlege. It has it's own computer and needs to communicate with the engine's computer to adjust torque output when it detects internal slipage. Just not an easy task to accomplish. Building your own would be mucho cheaper, and just as effective.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Well look at that. Interesting, I wonder how well it works. Looks like you have $3000 just for the adapter/computer & flex plate. Cost of the Allison would not be cheap.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It has been done, a guy in diesel power magazine had a Ford powered cummins with an allison, i guess he made his own computer for the allison to work with he cummins....IMO allisons are just as usless as any other stock transmission on a modded truck, as soon as you put a chip to a dmax the allison starts slipping

·
Banned
201 Posts
call Fleece Performance, ask for Brayden

://www.fleeceperformance.com/ContactUs.aspx

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Some one was telling me even modded the allison just does not shift fast enough and building a dodge auto would be cheaper and work better.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some one was telling me even modded the allison just does not shift fast enough and building a dodge auto would be cheaper and work better.
Thank you someone to agree with... Dodges 47rh which came in your 94 are extremely strong when built right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There was a built chevy in Diesel Power mag. that hade a 47RH behind the D Max. it was stronger then the allison.:confused013: mikeuz

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
True. The Allison is a clutch-on-clutch design. Get it shifting too fast and itll hang up in two gears...not a good thing.

The best racing trans is the Dodge 47rh/e/48re. Stock, yea they kinda suck. They do have a worse reputation than deserved though. But built, its the best for all out racing, maybe even sledpulling too.

You can swap an Allison in. People will say you cant because it needs to communicate with the engine for torque management. True, so all you do is fool it into thinking the Duramax is ahead of it instead of the Cummins. Fleece has a couple 12vs running Allisons, and obviously Suncoast has done it to.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
True. The Allison is a clutch-on-clutch design. Get it shifting too fast and itll hang up in two gears...not a good thing.

The best racing trans is the Dodge 47rh/e/48re. Stock, yea they kinda suck. They do have a worse reputation than deserved though. But built, its the best for all out racing, maybe even sledpulling too.

You can swap an Allison in. People will say you cant because it needs to communicate with the engine for torque management. True, so all you do is fool it into thinking the Duramax is ahead of it instead of the Cummins. Fleece has a couple 12vs running Allisons, and obviously Suncoast has done it to.
I like how it shifts fast. I believe another part of that communication is a momentary power reduction during shifts. I also don’t think the Allision is the cure all of transmissions. I like it for what it does, and they came out with the 5 and 6 speed first, but if you are going to throw power at it you better be ready to upgrade it just like every other transmission. I would love to feel how it shifts behind a Cummins though. I bet that would be a kick in the butt!

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Yea, the Allison has to defuel between shifts, otherwise itll grenade. Well, the Allison tells the engine to defuel:doh: haha...thats the torque management I was referring to.

Stock, Id say the Allison is probably the strongest, but certainly isnt the "God" of transmissions. Ive played with the idea of running one in a 1st gen as a pulling (tow) rig. I personally didnt like how it felt when I test drove an 08 GMC, actually preferred the feel of the stock 48re than it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are lots of Class five and six trucks with 5.9's and Alison's, I really like all the BS about going into two gears, that is original. What you want to do is phone you local Alison dealer, and ask them. A 545 is a good fit and it came without a computer, just a modulator cable. They mount directly to the engine, with a flex plate. Call them and they can give you the straight goods. If you want more power there is the 654 DRD, you tell him the torque, HP, and RPM and he can tell you what will work, models and prices. You will need the CPL and serial numbers of the engine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are a lot of HD trucks with 5.9 and allison's. The only problem is that they are a very inefficient trans if you go with the HD trans. There is NO upgrades for them. They dont put the power to the ground alot is lost in the tq converter.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
I really like all the BS about going into two gears, that is original.
How you figure?? Theres been more than one do it dude. Look into it some more. Im talking the 1000, not a 545...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
We have allison's in both of our FL 80 dump trucks and in our two 20 yard garbage trucks. They work pretty good in those trucks but they are some monster sized units. They hunt for gears some times when they are empty.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Ok.. so who has one that I can drive! LOL!

Still to expensive for the end result, but man I would still like to ride in one.

·
Banned
201 Posts
The Allison's are pretty sweet to ride in. Real smooth when setup w/ precision.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts