Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know more about getting a Allison trans hooked up to my 5.9L. I was talking to a international mechanic and he told me that the Allison trans are on his service trucks which provide around 1600 pounds of tq. Can a stock trans like that really do this? Could i put that trans in my truck with adapters? would it be a good a idea to get an Allison trans other than rebuilding mine for 4 grand? someone please explain to me which way would be better or if this mechanic was pullin my chain.

·
Registered
830 Posts
imho, you can get an hts built and ready to rock for under 5 g's. why go with an allison and the stuff to make it work. it won't handle as much power and the initial cost will be higher.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Well what Allison would you want to use? A 1000, like the one you will find in a GM truck, or a 545 or a 2000?

Check out destroked.com they have Allison adapters and the PCM control you will need. It would be cool but it is going to get pricey.

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what Allison would you want to use? A 1000, like the one you will find in a GM truck, or a 545 or a 2000?

Check out destroked.com they have Allison adapters and the PCM control you will need. It would be cool but it is going to get pricey.
i honestly didnt know there were diff. allisons out there. what would be the best? they have the conversion kit for the 1000, but that means im ganna have to get a new drive shaft too huh?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
imho, you can get an hts built and ready to rock for under 5 g's. why go with an allison and the stuff to make it work. it won't handle as much power and the initial cost will be higher.
x2, you can get a built tranny to handle more and for less then doing a allison conversion.

·
Registered
470 Posts
first, i would (if i had the money) just put a built tranny from goerend in. if you want a diff. trans entirely (6speed) i would look at stuffing a 68rfe in there. i've heard them compared to the allison and it would probably be an easier swap?

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is the input i needed!
thanks guys!
Nick

·
Registered
602 Posts
The allison 1000 in the 06+ Chevy will take about 500HP with valve body mods and a convertor upgrade. You trans will handle 600HP easy with valve body mods, input shaft and a convertor. The only advantage in favor of the Allison 1000 is the double overdrive in the 06+ 6 speed.

You can get an 01-05 Allison 5 speed and do the Suncoast conversion as well as valve body mods, but in the end your gonna be dumping mega dollars into getting this all done compared to just a few grand into your Dodge trans. The double overdrive may pay for itself in fuel saving after a couple years of over the road hot-shot driving if you drive that kind of miles.

The Dodge trans is not that bad. They all (Ford/Dodge/Allison) are preety weak hydraulically in stock trim. The Dodge is no worse off than the others really. The nice part of the dodge is that the OEM paper style clutches will take 700+ HP with the corrected pressures of a properly set up valve body. Your Dodge input shaft is weaker than the others, but that is easily fixed when the trans comes out.

For the cost to get an Allison in, I say can the idea! If you can shrug off that money, go ahead and do it just to be able to go on forums and tell everyone that you can, and you did!

Larry

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry, the Suncoast conversion is a 5-speed to 6-speed conversion. I believe it to be about $1800 for the kit on thier website under the Allison section. You would have to go take a peak at Suncoast's site. Im not 100% sure, but I think that Joes Tire in Barnesville Ohio just did the Suncoast 6-speed upgrade to his 05 Duramax sled pull / street race truck. You can call the shop over there and speak to Joe if you want to quiz him on how it all turned out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
say friends doing a 1985 4x4 crew cab dually gas to 12 v conversion...i have a divorced transfer case and would like to install with my 12 v a 5 r 6 speed auto? any ideas..ford has a 5 speed behind there cummins in a f 650..I no 4 sure cuz I drive a flat bed roll back dat has 1...an ide like 2 do it once an not 2 r three tymes....2 get a 5 r 6 speed?
What the fcuk are you trying to say? :spank::banghead::doh::confused013::rof:hehe: :eek:noz::zot:

Stop typing like a retard and start a new topic instead of bringing back one from 2008 and you MIGHT get a reply....

:slap:
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts