Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Allison 1000

4314 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  JDiepstra
Hey does anyone know if a allison 1000 six speed will fit up to a 2003 5.9? Also what would you have to do with your wire harness? :confused013:
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
you have to get a bell housing adapter $700 dollars then you have to get an allison tcm and wiring harness. $1500 dollars then you have to either buy a programmer called efi live to program your dodge ecm with gm transmission information. $750 dollars or you can try to find a duramax shop that already has it and save a little money if you factor in the price of the tranny. your at comparable price to super built 48re. even if you put an Allison in your still getting a stock tranny. with the mods you have the Allison wont hold up any better than the 48re will. I already looked into doing this more hassle than its worth. if you are still interested go to beansdieselperformance.com they specialize in cummins swaps and tranny swaps.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Since you are in Wyoming.... Nothing better than Goerend over in Iowa.

· Registered
351 Posts
Goerend! My grandparents and the guy that installed it for me said they are really good people to work with and if you have any questions they are right there to help out. I get to drive it myself tomorrow!!!! :party018:

· Banned
28,330 Posts
then you have to either buy a programmer called efi live to program your dodge ecm with gm transmission information.

Uh, EFI Live aint gonna program the Dodge ECM...

Theres a lot of little things you need; an adapter plate, custom TC (I believe) the trans, the Allison TCM...

Basically, since the Allison and Duramax talk to each other, you have to fool the allison into thinking its still behind a Duramax. The Duramax defuels when the Allison tells it its going to shift. Theres programs for the Allison where it doesnt talk to the engine, but those are 2000 applications instead of the 1000. Ive heard, theoretically, itll work, but havent heard that anybody has done it and made it work for sure.

Your better off building the 47/48re. A full built Dodge trans is around the same as putting a stock Allison in your truck. And even then, the Allison aint the big bad trans that everybody tends to think it is.

HTS makes a pretty good trans...

· Registered
50 Posts
I know of one guy that has done the Allison swap it took a lot of tinkering around to get it to work, and he is still having troubles with four low. when he puts it in four low the truck goes into limp mode. something to do with the first gear ratio in the tranny its different than what the 48re's is so the computer goes into limp mode. stroke this your right it wont program the dodge ecm i typed it wrong. you have to buy the destroked tcm and wiring harness. its actually pretty cool it tricks the ecm into thinking its still a stock tranny behind the motor. then you set all shift points with the destroked tcm. if money was not an option i would go with that just to be one of only a few guys who has it, but i will keep dreaming. that was what i was referring to. that is what costs $1500 then you have to program that with efi live. it is a standalone tcm. like i said its not worth the hassle. just to get another stock tranny in your truck. I've got to save a little more and im getting a goerend tranny.

· Banned
5,760 Posts
Don't bother putting that piece of junk in your truck.

Get a transmission from HTS, DTT, or Goerend.

· Registered
528 Posts
Trans

Don't forget about Suncoast, Full billet TQ and flex plate and new lines $7,500 Shipped from Florida to California and installed:flag1::flag::usa:

· Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't knock Allison to much. if you tear down the Allison six speed and the 68re you will notice they are the same tranny with different names on them. Gm owns the right to the name Allison but that doesn't mean they cant put the same technology in other vehicles with a different name.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I wouldn't knock Allison to much. if you tear down the Allison six speed and the 68re you will notice they are the same tranny with different names on them. Gm owns the right to the name Allison but that doesn't mean they cant put the same technology in other vehicles with a different name.
How's that possible since the 68rfe is just a much beefier version of the 545rfe?

· Registered
50 Posts
I go to UTI and just had automatic transmissions class. we got to tear apart both transmissions and the internals are exactly the same. The only difference we saw was that the input shaft on the Allison was a little bigger that's it. Same tranny different bell housing.

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
I go to UTI and just had automatic transmissions class. we got to tear apart both transmissions and the internals are exactly the same. The only difference we saw was that the input shaft on the Allison was a little bigger that's it. Same tranny different bell housing.
What? No? Are you kidding? Only stuff I remember reading was that the 68rfe was made by Orion and it was an in house thing? So are a ton of people just uneducated on this thing or are you pulling this outta you know where?

Internals are exactly the same? Something isn't jiving here? In a Duramax it is generally accepted that you can go 90 horse over stock without killing the trans.......immediately anyway. These 6.7 guys are telling me they can go 500 at the rear wheels so do the math however you want that is putting 100 or more horse above what the DMAX's can run with the "same trans". An allison will hold 500 stock, but not for long.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
really well how hard would that be to put on a 03 5.9? the 68rfe that is.
Untill someone comes out with a 100% trouble free stand alone computer to talk with the Engine ECU and the 68rfe, it's not gonna happen. The 68rfe is all electronically controlled.

i've heard that it's a completely new design...:confused013:
Well, the tranny pan on the 545rfe and the 68rfe are the same. Sorry, but the 68rfe got its foundation from the 545rfe.

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm not trying to come off rude, but how do you know they are not the same? Have you seen the inside of both? I have, and what I saw appeared to be the same parts. There has got to be a transmission guy on this forum that can clear this up. I'm not claiming to be a transmssion guru, but i saw what i saw.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.