Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i read the threads here and searched for similar symptoms i thought i narrowed it but need input, over the last month or two its lost power and now i see it lost boost i know the fueling is related to boost, the egts have gone up as well and lost least 4mpg avg my truck is pretty much stock no programmers, it had a new cp3 and injectors begining of 2010, previously i had average boost under full throttle of 28psi on my guage, no i can get 22 and it drops to 20 and will not build as this happens egt shoots to 10 11 hundred on my gauge, before id have to be in it for awhile before it got to that, i never have white or black smoke only black ive ever seen and still see is tiny puff when hit the throttle quick barely notice able.i clamped the boost hose no change in boost readings, tried the app sense reset even though this truck it shouldnt matter, no change, checked hoses for leaks no luck there, checked wires nothing seems bad did no voltage readings other than batterys both batts read 12.7 with truck parked not running, fuel and air filters are fresh its a k&n and i cleaned it just to make sure even ran the truck with out quick and still no more boost, i dont have a rail preasure guage thinking of that next im kinda lost the milage has dropped from 17 to 13 14mpg, avg driving here in the catskills for me, its cold here it starts right up and runs at idle great sounds real good, when driving off the start low to mid throttle response is good anything over half it just flat does not pull and seems like rpms go up and the truck sounds louder now,,,,,,, please anybody help i ve put alot of time into this thing i just want it to work.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the turbo shaft play is normal i can pull pretty hard and get it to move 1/16 to an 1/8th being generous and not a side to side play it spins freely and comes to a stop after a few revolutions, my friend has a snap on modus can i test it with that..oko also just a thought i know the cp3 will pull full if the lift pump fails im gonna go listen make sure mine turns on but if the lift pump was not working and the injection pump was pulling the fuel would that cause these symptons at all? just a thought

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
usually when the lp dies the truck wont start. for 70.00 you can get a warnig light that tells you is your lp is below 5psi.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pulled the fca off did the shake test it has a little rattle noise if firm up and down shake is done i dont think that its the problem also my dodge has the red wire with inline fuse installed from dodge for the in tank lift pump fix when they change it from the canister style i couldnt here my pump turn on or run but the truck running i unplugged the fuse and it stayed running so i plugged the fuse in idk if i was gonna do a rail fuel pressure guage who makes them i dont want a dummy light rather see the specs i do plan to get a smarty very soon i would like to have this fixed first.. what else should i check , other than the modus ill give my friend a msg today seee when i can hook it up

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i went back out to see if it would start with that fuse removed from the red wire i was talking about and it deff starts with it unplugged? i dont want to ruin my inj pump if the lift has failed? i got no codes for the key trick either..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a smarty on the way will it be able to read codes or chack for problems anybody know

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
the smarty manual will say how to check codes

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright well i stopped at auto zone today just to through a scanner of some kind on it and they found nothing i really need to pick someones brain this is crazy, there is very low powr high revs high egts and low boost no smoke what the hell

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here but try cleaning the MAP sensor with carb cleaner. And since you're running a K&N filter also clean the AIT sensor. Something to try.

MikeyB

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did clean the ait sensor i can try the mapp sensor cleaning i guess i really think its my lift pump i just read an article about when lift pumps fail the truck runs with significant lose in power i need to test my lift pump? do i have to drop tank and take it out to test it???? if it has failed an airdogg2 is going in just need to know for sure

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
for some people its easier to have a buddy help pull the bed off. you may have to pull it out to test it. the pump may be gettting power but if its dead then checking for power at the connector wont tell you anything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i pulled the top fitting lose turned the key to on and it ran a little spurt of fuel out id say 4 ounces give or take not now ten sec cycle with a quart of fuel like it states it should? correct? did it twice with the key left to on and thats it so something is wrong with lift pump for sure right, let me know if imissed something i will replace with airdog2b165 ... i dont plan on ever getting over 600 ponys with this truck sound like the right choice???

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i pulled the top fitting lose turned the key to on and it ran a little spurt of fuel out id say 4 ounces give or take not now ten sec cycle with a quart of fuel like it states it should? correct? did it twice with the key left to on and thats it so something is wrong with lift pump for sure right, let me know if i missed something i will replace with airdog2 165 ... i dont plan on ever getting over 600 ponys with this truck sound like the right choice???

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i pulled the top fitting lose turned the key to on and it ran a little spurt of fuel out id say 4 ounces give or take not now ten sec cycle with a quart of fuel like it states it should? correct? did it twice with the key left to on and thats it so something is wrong with lift pump for sure right, let me know if i missed something i will replace with airdog2 165 ... i dont plan on ever getting over 600 ponys with this truck sound like the right choice???

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no the thread i read said to just turn it on i guess ill have to try that too

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i bumped the starter to get the pump to run for the 30 seconds it pours out plenty of fluid on that aspect but with out a fuel preasure guage under load i cant know for sure so still not sure what the problem is here, but the lift pump is working

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so the waste gate on the turbo is my question now how do i test it can it be stuck open and only build so much boost and the computer not throw a code and defuel after certain point? i clamped the hose and it wouldnt build anymore than what it did unclamped so is the gate in the exuahst side stuck? can i pull on it and see if it will move to test this?

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
you have a mechancial wastegate where as the newer truck have a electronic wastegate. pinching the line to the wastegated will not allow it to open causing boost to rise. do you have the boost elbow in place? so you can adjust boost?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts