Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another thread I checked on my situation::banghead:

Well, crap. I checked with the Tennessee DVM this morning and this is what I found out about my truck tag. Tennessee’s normal (or specialty) vehicle tag (of which I have/had) is rated for 9,000 lbs. When your GVW is below this weight you can get by pulling your 5’ver (or anything else) if your 5’ver or trailer is also tagged.

BUT, when you cross that GVW weight limit on your truck all rules change and RVs are not exempt anymore. (Most people do not know this in Tennessee). You now have to consider your truck (loaded or unloaded) weight and the weight of anything your towing. You must purchase a “weighted tag” or stand the change of getting a very expensive ticket by either this state or any other state. The people said “ Mr. Qualls we will sell you any tag you want but the legal tag for your situation is the “weighted tag” which should included both truck and whatever your towing (including 5’vers)”. I talked to the lady at the counter then to her supervisor. The Supervisor said she would call the state of Tennessee if I wanted her to confirm the rules and that she did. The state DVM confirmed that I must purchased the “weighted tag” because my trucks’ GVW was over the 9,000 lbs limit of the normal tag. And if your commercial carrier that add a different “weighted tag” and a hell of a lot more money.

So this boils down to "if your stopped by the State Police and he has a scale and weights you, you would receive a ticket if your combined truck and trailer weight is over the rating of the license tag on your truck". In addition, I was told by the state DMV person in Nashville that if the police did not have a scale he could use you GVW on the truck and trailer inlue of the actual weight.
Each state has different normal license tag ratings and all states have about the same laws as Tennessee's. Non Commercial trucks still do not have to stop at weight station pulling RV's but must maintain legal license tags.

That trip will cost me about $141.00 per year for tags for my truck instead of the normal $28.00/year.

What is you trucks GVW and what is your tag rating? I think all the new models ¾ tons trucks are 9,600 lbs rating!

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
my 08'sw 3500 tangs are 12,200 GVW and GCWR was a think 17,600? or was it 24,500idr have to chek.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would feel bad for ya except the tags for my truck are over 500.00 a year here in Nevada!!!!

Glad you could pass that info on so someone else won't get a ticket

Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got licensed for 20 ton when I registered mine. Was only like $40/year more than 5 ton for Nebraska.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
In Utah, I believe that as long as you register (pay state tax) for the truck and 5'er and you're not beyond 28k towed weight, there are no extra fees.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,491 Posts
I would feel bad for ya except the tags for my truck are over 500.00 a year here in Nevada!!!!

Glad you could pass that info on so someone else won't get a ticket

Chris
And ADD on another $50 and hassle to do a smog check.
Next month for me.:banghead:

·
Registered
295 Posts
another problem is some states are requiring dot inspections and all that when your towed trailer is over 10k gross. this is happening to farmers towing loads of hay across state lines. our license bureau staff alerted me to this. i now have to get all my hay within missouri or pay the fine.

·
Banned
81 Posts
$717 to register + $60 for smog in Ca.

I guess it's all relative!

3,180 Posts
this has been the law in ga for as long as ive been driving... i always wondered how you TN people got away with 9,000lb tags on everything even if you truck weighs more than that bout time they caught yall

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I hope this never comes to light in Utah. I'm towing 18k on an 8k truck!

·
IL Chapter VP
3,480 Posts
this has been the law in ga for as long as ive been driving... i always wondered how you TN people got away with 9,000lb tags on everything even if you truck weighs more than that bout time they caught yall
It happens here in Illinois all the time. We have B plates which are 8k plates. We have guys put these on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and then tow heavy to boot. they are going to start cracking down on them also. The D plate which is 8001 to 12000lbs is emmissions excempt. All the guys with b plates are going to start getting emmissions test compliance letters soon.
Andy

3,180 Posts
It happens here in Illinois all the time. We have B plates which are 8k plates. We have guys put these on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and then tow heavy to boot. they are going to start cracking down on them also. The D plate which is 8001 to 12000lbs is emmissions excempt. All the guys with b plates are going to start getting emmissions test compliance letters soon.
Andy
most guys here in ga have 26,000lb plates or just civilian plates (standard plates) i think standards let you go to 20,000? not sure

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
My tags, here in CO, were over $900 new and for '10 were over $500.

A 1500 would have been less than half that. Because my GVWR is over 9k, I get bent over...

If I had gotten the longbed dually that I wanted (wife would never have driven it) I would have been hit even harder.

Oh well, I will always have a diesel... Just part of the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
idk what the yearly price is on mine...around 400 id say...but im tagged @ 28k (although the tag actually says 30k) on my 07

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think if you check the federal law is against FED. law for a state DOT man to force you to scale your vehicle used as a RV. No state law can trump that.:S:

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
In MD the key weight split is 10000 lbs and 10001 lbs. If you are not commercial you can haul whatever you want that is under 26000 lbs. if you are commercial pulling more than 10000 lbs you need a class A license. Our tags are about 200.00 for 2 years. I have 7 trailers registered in the state of ME and I am told that you can register vehicles there as well and not need to live there. I am surprised that a state like TN is so strict especially when from what I was told you guys don't have emission laws yet.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,491 Posts
I hope this never comes to light in Utah. I'm towing 18k on an 8k truck!
What is your GVWR rating? :S: My 2500 is 9600lbs??? Your drw 3500 should be 10k+

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
In North Carolina, Non Commercial (Privately owned) RV towing is exempt from the weight laws. As spoken earlier, A truck is subject to the laws in the state in which it is liscenced in. So if I pull a Rv through any other state. I am NOT subject to their local Liscensure laws. I AM subject to meeting the applicable NC laws at all times! So as long as you are legal in the state that has issued your 1) Tags, 2) Drivers Liscence, and 3) Insurance, Then you are GOLDEN!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What is your GVWR rating? :S: My 2500 is 9600lbs??? Your drw 3500 should be 10k+
Should be quite a bit over that. My 3500 SRW is at 10100 and up till last year was exempt from the stupid smog law!!! Frickin polititians got us on that now too. Had mine smogged in Nov. 36.00

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In North Carolina, Non Commercial (Privately owned) RV towing is exempt from the weight laws. As spoken earlier, A truck is subject to the laws in the state in which it is liscenced in. So if I pull a Rv through any other state. I am NOT subject to their local Liscensure laws. I AM subject to meeting the applicable NC laws at all times! So as long as you are legal in the state that has issued your 1) Tags, 2) Drivers Liscence, and 3) Insurance, Then you are GOLDEN!
I was told that as long as I meet Tennessee laws it should be good in all other states. Some kind of agreement like the gun carry laws.

In MD the key weight split is 10000 lbs and 10001 lbs. If you are not commercial you can haul whatever you want that is under 26000 lbs. if you are commercial pulling more than 10000 lbs you need a class A license. Our tags are about 200.00 for 2 years. I have 7 trailers registered in the state of ME and I am told that you can register vehicles there as well and not need to live there. I am surprised that a state like TN is so strict especially when from what I was told you guys don't have emission laws yet.
Tennessee Vehicle Inspection Program:
EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2005, Certain vehicles registered in Hamilton, Davidson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson counties are required to pass a vehicle emission test. Gasoline and diesel vehicles with a model year of 1975 and newer and a Gross Vehicle Weight Rate (GVWR) of 10,500 lbs or less must pass an emission test before the vehicle’s registration can be renewed. Motorcycles are exempt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts