Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
There are multiple discussions in 4th gen 4500/5500 C&C threads that discuss the crazy factory toe-in and how it's best to set near zero toe (surprise!), and also multiple references to setting the caster in the 2-4 degree range, pretty much the same as 2500/3500. The discussions about tire wear and wander are eerily familiar....

There are multiple references to the caster and toe set ranges being "too large" or "too wide". Folks reference the Thuren specs just as often in 2500/3500 discussions.

I would wager you wouldn't go wrong with near zero toe and positive caster in the same range. After all, it's the same mechanics... just a bit heavier duty. Since everything is heavier there's going to be a tendency towards wobble at a lower frequency range. but I believe heavier duty tires with stiffer sidewalls will work to combat that.

Those new links look pretty stout, and have a LOT of adjustment. Using coil spacers instead of taller coils means you haven't decreased the lateral stability. I would dial in a nominal caster around 3 to 4 degrees. If you feel any instability, dial in a hair more. I'll bet you don't. If steering on center is too strong, back it off a hair. You going to mount up a beefy steering stabilizer assembly in that beast?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are multiple discussions in 4th gen 4500/5500 C&C threads that discuss the crazy factory toe-in and how it's best to set near zero toe (surprise!), and also multiple references to setting the caster in the 2-4 degree range, pretty much the same as 2500/3500. The discussions about tire wear and wander are eerily familiar....

There are multiple references to the caster and toe set ranges being "too large" or "too wide". Folks reference the Thuren specs just as often in 2500/3500 discussions.

I would wager you wouldn't go wrong with near zero toe and positive caster in the same range. After all, it's the same mechanics... just a bit heavier duty. Since everything is heavier there's going to be a tendency towards wobble at a lower frequency range. but I believe heavier duty tires with stiffer sidewalls will work to combat that.

Those new links look pretty stout, and have a LOT of adjustment. Using coil spacers instead of taller coils means you haven't decreased the lateral stability. I would dial in a nominal caster around 3 to 4 degrees. If you feel any instability, dial in a hair more. I'll bet you don't. If steering on center is too strong, back it off a hair. You going to mount up a beefy steering stabilizer assembly in that beast?
Thank you sir!

As of now, waiting on an adjustable drag link from Dodge Offroad, and will then mess with it a bit more once everything is lined up perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts