Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am waiting on getting some 35s to put my carli suspension on and would like to know if you guys have any recommendations for any shops to do an alignment for the lift. Would it be better to take it into the dealer to perform the alignment? Looking for something close in abbotsford or langley because I do not want to drive far with a truck that needs alignment.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
What are you putting in up front, just springs or?
What wheels are you putting the 35's on?

If you're using aftermarket wheels the 35's might rub with 3" of lift, or at least that's the case on the older style trucks like my 06.

Are you doing control arms etc, track bar?

The lift will pull the tires toward the back of the wheel openings, my 35's rubbed there, cuz my H2's move the tires out a little so I put longer control arms on to move them ahead a bit. 35's on stock wheels don't rub there but will rub the control arms when you turn.

Lifting the front end will also pull the diff towards the driver side a bit. Some say you MUST put a longer track bar on to re-center the diff but (IMO) that's BS. I started with 2" spacers, had them for 2 years then put in my Thuren 3" coils, all with the stock track bar till a couple months ago. I never had a problem with the truck wandering or tracking straight and definitely no death wobble.

With 35's I would put on a steering brace though.

With the solid axle the only thing they can adjust really is the toe in and caster, that and making the steering wheel straight, pretty simple stuff.

I took my truck to a 'reputable alignment shop' in Langley after putting in my spacers, they tried telling me by BJ's were shot. The truck was still under warranty so I took it to the dealer who told me they were fine. According to Dodge there can be some playe up and down in the BJ's. Lotsa shops will stick a long bar under the tire and show you play and try to soak you for about $800-1000 for new BJ's. Your truck's pretty new, hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

Check out this thread, I told some guys about it last night. The poster is a Dodge service manager or something:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-non-powertrain/233796-ball-joints-facts-fiction.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have carli springs, carli track bar, bilstein 5100, suspension maxx end links, and a carli low mount steering stabilizer for the front and carli add-a-pack for the rear with bilstein 5100. Not doing control arms right now maybe down the line if I have to much rubbing.

As for the wheels I am hoping to find a decent deal on craigslist for either 35s on stock wheels or some 18 or 20 rims with atleast 5.5 inch back space and only 9 inches wide to reduce the chances of major rubbing.

Looking to get the hell bent steel steering brace

Do you think it might just be better to have the dealer do the alignment in case there are warrenty issues and alignment can be ruled out since it was done at the dealer? I know certain things may be void from warrenty from the lift.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Well if you go to the dealer you probly won't get screwed around for BJ's.
Your're putting some nice parts on there.

If you tow or haul make sure you get E rated tires, there's not many E rated 35's around and you probly won't have any luck finding used ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya ended up going this route after a lot of research on here and people going from other lifts to carli and thuren so decided to save money and take this route right from the start.

If I don't come up with anything for tires I will buy new but right now I do not have the extra funds for new tires which is why I may as well look for used and if nothing pops up I can get new later.

Thanks for that other thread, read through it and got some good info.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well if you go to the dealer you probly won't get screwed around for BJ's.
Your're putting some nice parts on there.

If you tow or haul make sure you get E rated tires, there's not many E rated 35's around and you probly won't have any luck finding used ones.
ive been looking for used 35's for months now on craigslist, and anything that does pop up is sold instantly. A good alighnment place is dales alighnment on 56th ave in langley. I,ve just ordered 35x12.5x17 hankook dynapro mt's for my truck. hopefully they dont rub to much

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought some 275/65/20 (34x11x20) nitto terra grapplers with rims off craigslist so its time for the suspension to go on soon.

There is no rub with 20x9 wheel with +20 offset equaling around 5.75" backspace.

I am going to talk to my dealer about an alignment and recalibration of my speedo and if they are not willing to touch an altered truck then I will take a look into the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Dale's is the place that tried to soak me for BJ's. I won't go there again.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dale's is the place that tried to soak me for BJ's. I won't go there again.
Realy, everyone told me how great and honest they were. dale's done the leveling kit on my truck. After hearing that i dont think i will be heading back there to get any front end work done.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Yeah, I'd heard that too, I wasn't gonna mention the name until someone else mentioned it.
Maybe that G&A place Lynx mentioned is worth a try..?
... or a dealer.

I've done everything myself, the leveling kit is easy, I'll put McQuay Norris BJ's in when the time comes, either myself or get my mechanic bud to "help" me.

BTW, aren't those Sterling grills $1000 or something? You must really like them?

Nice looking truck, how come you don't have fender liners in the back?

Reactions: samson 6.7

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess I will continue with this thread instead of making a new one.

Finally got my rear add a packs in. Took me about 3 hours to do it by myself for the first time. Some of that time was wasted getting the top bolts for the shocks off because of the awkward positioning with the truck on jackstands. I managed to get it all done and gained about 1" of lift with one spacer and 2 removed.

I have more rake which means the front will be going on soon within a few days. I will post pics when I have it complete.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
I hear ya about the shocks, woulda been a lot easier if they put the top bolt in the other way. I put it back in the opposite way, now I can reach the bolt from underneath with the impact.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yeah, I'd heard that too, I wasn't gonna mention the name until someone else mentioned it.
Maybe that G&A place Lynx mentioned is worth a try..?
... or a dealer.

I've done everything myself, the leveling kit is easy, I'll put McQuay Norris BJ's in when the time comes, either myself or get my mechanic bud to "help" me.

BTW, aren't those Sterling grills $1000 or something? You must really like them?

Nice looking truck, how come you don't have fender liners in the back?
The sterling grill was only 339$ from moparpartsonline. [420 to the front door] and it never came with the fender liners so????. got my new 35's put on yesterday, and it actually feels like i;me driving a new truck, and they barely humm:confused013: they are load range E and are a 10 ply though. Hopefully an Airdog 150 here soon 2

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
What kinda tires did you get?

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
... and they're E rated? I didn't know they made E's,
Curios, how many pounds they rated for? (Most are 3195 if they're E's)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
... and they're E rated? I didn't know they made E's,
Curios, how many pounds they rated for? (Most are 3195 if they're E's)
load range e , 10 ply, 3525 pounds, 35x12.5x17. just went to mission to fuel up, and at 120km a slight hum. anything below that feels and sounds like the stock 265's. There very smothe and quite for a mt. So far ime very impressed, Time will tell

Reactions: Fisherguy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts