Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone educate me why this program/scanner would not work for our truck? I have been following some 4th gen forums and seems like they are having some success on this. I've asked the question and they said it's only compatible with 13 and up.. I went to their website and found the it's applicable to any FCA 06 and up, tried emailing the tech support for assistance and did not get a reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've looked at it and have been curious about it. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is the OBDII to USB cable I have. I don't know if it has the CanBus connections or not.

I have to use Can Bus tools to service the equipment I work on (non-automotive) but it's raw Can Bus. I can build one I suppose, but I'd rather not have to do that. I already have so little time to do anything except work, and "honey-do's" that my truck has 4 unfinished projects going on it it already.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a new version released today which included more options for the 06-12 trucks. Just got my Obdlink adapter, just waiting for confirmation that it'll disable the lamp out system and I'll be purchasing the software.

Also this thread has started as well.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd-support-for-06-12-rams.133851/
Thank you Boosted7... I'm looking forward to hear more about this option for us 3rd Gen owners... I was really interested more on the Pre-Alignment/Calibration of the VGT to the Turbo..

I will go back to AlfaOBD and download the new versions so i can look around... Thank you again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also will go get it.

I installed the version I got a short whine back, but it had nothing on our models on it.
Intended to play with it anyway (already proved my Elm 327 unit DOES work on Can Bus at 500k).
But the other half insisted we do housework involving ladders and such. Happy wife, happy life.
Going to hook my IXXAT Can bus diagnostic unit up when I get a chance as well, and do some data logging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just recently got to play with it in my truck. I also have a 2015 Challenger R/T that I want to get the backup camera turned on (I have a camera on the way).
I haven't gotten to explore in it much at this point but the 2017.5 - 2009 models do not have a BCM, but rather the control module functions are in the instrument cluster and TIPM. I've connected to it, and pulled the settings found there, but I haven't figured out how to change them yet. I was looking into that when the better half stopped me as there was a more pressing matter to be dealt with at the time.

I am interested in adjusting my Tire pressure nag, instead of just shutting it off with my XRT Pro. Once I figure that out, I'll actually get new transponders installed in my wheels, as I am due for a tire change soon. Going to get some Nitto AT tires this time, as this is now my daily driver. The Nitto Grapplers have been wonderful tires, but you almost need to wear ear protection when on 5 hour 80mph trips. I figure the AT's might give me a slight mileage improvement as well, I have them on the Challenger, and they grip like riding on railroad tracks in wet cornering.

I was using an ELM device that apparently does have both CAN bus circuits implemented, and the PC application. I will be getting the Android application as well.
It seems everybody is using the bluetooth MX device, as it is the recommended device. It is also much faster from what I understand.
I ordered one yesterday. The LX device will also work and is about $30 cheaper, but lacks the circuitry required to do other brands, such as some fords and stuff.
There's no telling what I might need to use this on in the future so I went with the more expensive device.

I've pulled the configuration from both the TIPM and the Challenger's BCM.

If you search diligently enough you'll find tidbits of info scattered throughout the forums of other FCA products (i.e. Chrysler 300, Dodge Dart, etc.) both U.S. and European countries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally figured out how to use the software, yesterday. Also got my OBDLink MX in. Tried it on both my 2009 2500 and on my 2015 Challenger. I'm going to install the Android version today also. Used the PC version yesterday and turned on the backup camera function. Now when I put the car in reverse it automatically changes to a blue screen that says "Camera Unavailable" which it naturally would, because the camera isn't installed. I'll be installing the camera today as well. I'll also be digging in the truck's software to see what I find in there. And seeing if I can disable the troublesome "cannot operate nav while car is in motion" in the car. It's irritating to have to stop the car to change destinations on the nav system. So far so good. Best investment I've made for the tool box this year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought it for my 17 to do tire pressures but I hooked it up to my 06 Hemi to see if it works. So far I've enabled fogs with high beams and also one - touch turn signals. Now my 06 has the three blink turn signals like 17. Haven't gotten any further but it does work on my 06.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info silveranger93... I hope we get more feedback from other users if this app is also compatible with the 3rd gens. Also wanted to know more about using this app to Pre-Align/Calibrate turbo actuators for 3rd gens..

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I'm interested too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve got a 2008 and wasn’t able to change tire size or program another key fob. Admittedly I didn’t have a whole lot of time to spend with it, but what I did get was, Failed. Requested service is not supported by this unit. I’m not sure if I’m doing something incorrectly, however I tried using the preloaded tire selection as well as inputting my own tire size with not luck. I just purchased both the Alfa and MX and checked for updates to both. I did disconnect my grid heater some time ago and cleared the stored codes for that prior to trying to adjust tire size.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
870 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got AlfaOBD on my phone...

I tried updating TPMS thresholds to no avail. It turns out that I have one sensor with a bad battery. I have been getting pretty annoyed about the nagging light and chime, so I disabled it entirely!! I will probably install new sensors when I buy new tires next spring. For now, I'll just use a pressure gauge like it should be!!

I did have a B2204 code show up, but we'll see if it clears up. No CEL/MIL, chime, or message on overhead so far... :thumbsup::thumbsup: ECU configuration mismatch... Perhaps, I'll tell the engine that it is in a 3500 truck that doesn't require TPMS and all will be well :stirpot:

I'll give it a day to sleep and reset the TIPM before changing anything else... A few key and ignition cycles wouldn't hurt either...

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the information shared.. It sounds like AlfaOBD is not fully compatible with our 3rd Gen especially on the function of Actuator Calibration process. Just FYI, I am currently testing an actuator from City Diesel that do not require calibration at all. I have a total of 1,100 miles on it now and still going strong.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
870 Posts
Has anyone else tried new stuff??

I have successfully disabled TPMS and the annoying 3 blink turn signal thing, so far... Next on the list is "DPF FULL" on the display next time I see it!!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone else tried new stuff??

I have successfully disabled TPMS and the annoying 3 blink turn signal thing, so far... Next on the list is "DPF FULL" on the display next time I see it!!
Mike, keep us posted...We would really appreciate any feedback... Thanks

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,757 Posts
First off, gunna tag @Jimmy07 to this thread, he is a wizard with Alpha and probably knows more then most

Second off, on a buddies 2006 MCSB Cummins 2500, i did disabled fog light drop out (fogs stay on with highs), also enabled HID headlights to disable PWM (not tested yet, but setting was there)

Also vehicle of interest 2012 Jeep JK, Disable fog light drop out, enable HID headlights, and disable TPMS sensors (no sensors in current tires so they wanted the light gone). will be adjust tire sizes the next time i'm around it

Since this is a 3rd gen topic i won't talk about things i've did with my 18, but there's some relevant info

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, more and more options with AlfaOBD folks for our 3rd Gen, this will really help us determine if the program will work for us. Thank you all for sharing and i hope more will chime in and share other options.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts