Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

821 - 837 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can turn my tailgate cam at any speed on my 2016.
But as other said, it turns off after a few seconds (maybe 10 sec?)

·
Premium Member
697 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anyone on here that could comment on adding the cargo camera to input on the radio but basically mounting the camera on the back of a 5th whee camper. It would not be a camera from FCA. Had this idea but not entirely sure it is possible. Its a 2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn G56 with 8.4a radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Anyone on here that could comment on adding the cargo camera to input on the radio but basically mounting the camera on the back of a 5th whee camper. It would not be a camera from FCA. Had this idea but not entirely sure it is possible. Its a 2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn G56 with 8.4a radio.

Yes. Many people use it for a front camera. You can use whatever aftermarket camera you want, and mount it wherever, and use the cargo camera soft key to turn it on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes. Many people use it for a front camera. You can use whatever aftermarket camera you want, and mount it wherever, and use the cargo camera soft key to turn it on.
Awesome, I thought so but I havent had the radio out to see what rca inputs are on the back or how many. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to program that soft key as well as the 2 side mirror cameras?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Awesome, I thought so but I havent had the radio out to see what rca inputs are on the back or how many. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to program that soft key as well as the 2 side mirror cameras?

The radio doesn’t have any RCA inputs for the cameras. What you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail, and pin it’s two wires into the radio connector cargo cam inputs (pins 24 & 25). Then you’ll plug the aftermarket camera RCA into that. You can’t get the side mirror cameras working on that radio, as it requires the central vision processing module from a 2019+, and we haven’t figured out how to make the radio on a pre-2019 use it’s digital camera input yet.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Okay, I'm only on page two of this thread so the question may have already come up: Can TPIS or TPMS be added?

I'm currently fumbling my way through the setting things to make LED (most likely, but maybe HID) headlights work without resistors.
Happened to see the TPIS enabling option, and while I ordered without anything on the 3500, so I don't have sensors installed, I wouldn't mind putting them in now that I know that I could lower the thresholds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was looking through all the AlphaOBD stuff and under the Radio Frequency Hub there seems to be the option of Reading the PIN just wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have is this the PIN to reset the RFH?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The radio doesn’t have any RCA inputs for the cameras. What you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail, and pin it’s two wires into the radio connector cargo cam inputs (pins 24 & 25). Then you’ll plug the aftermarket camera RCA into that. You can’t get the side mirror cameras working on that radio, as it requires the central vision processing module from a 2019+, and we haven’t figured out how to make the radio on a pre-2019 use it’s digital camera input yet.
Thanks for the input, Im still debating on wired or wireless as thats a long run of cable and not sure how video quality would be as it is heading to the back of a 34’ fifth wheel camper. I was trying to see if I could potentially get something to transmit wirelessly but haven’t dig that deep yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the input, Im still debating on wired or wireless as thats a long run of cable and not sure how video quality would be as it is heading to the back of a 34’ fifth wheel camper. I was trying to see if I could potentially get something to transmit wirelessly but haven’t dig that deep yet.

I'm in that same process right now. Try something like this: Wireless 5.8GHz Transmitter/Receiver They tout it as having up to a 100 foot range. For twenty bucks, it's worth a gamble for me to try.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm in that same process right now. Try something like this: Wireless 5.8GHz Transmitter/Receiver They tout it as having up to a 100 foot range. For twenty bucks, it's worth a gamble for me to try.
Yeah, I for sure will. We got alot that we are trying to setup on this rig and really wasnt interested in spending 3-400 on a camera that cant even feed into my screen.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay, I'm only on page two of this thread so the question may have already come up: Can TPIS or TPMS be added?

I'm currently fumbling my way through the setting things to make LED (most likely, but maybe HID) headlights work without resistors.
Happened to see the TPIS enabling option, and while I ordered without anything on the 3500, so I don't have sensors installed, I wouldn't mind putting them in now that I know that I could lower the thresholds.
What year truck? I switched to LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics. Just used Alfa to change the bulb setting to HID and it worked great, no extra resistors needed. Just used the ballast (?) that came in the kit. Hardest part was adjusting the rotation of the bulbs in the mounts so that my cutoff was horizontal and not angled.

G

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
What year truck? I switched to LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics. Just used Alfa to change the bulb setting to HID and it worked great, no extra resistors needed. Just used the ballast (?) that came in the kit. Hardest part was adjusting the rotation of the bulbs in the mounts so that my cutoff was horizontal and not angled.
It's a '17, and has LED bulbs in it now (don't remember the brand/model, but it was good ones), which improved the light output a lot.
Of course, the cut-off is still crappy with the poorly designed OE quad reflectors, the housings are stuffed full of resistor boxes, and the high beam is nowhere near as good as the low beam.

Used the same bulbs in my '14 1500 first, and forgot to dial in one bulb. What a disastrous beam pattern that was.
But on that one I skipped all the resistors (if memory serves me) and it still all works fine.
Not that I've put many miles on it in the dark.

Still undecided between the two modified Alpha Rex headlight sets, one set with the Morimoto LED, one with HID.
Guess I could install one of each and go from there. But I'm still tired of removing and reinstalling headlights after my XB fiasco.

Reactions: daltana

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't blame you. Shoving all the wiring and resistor boxes in the headlight housing was a pain, but it was worth it. I have factory projectors on my 18, and I'm darn happy with them. Well, once I dumped the halogen bulbs for LED. I can't speak to the Alpha Rex lights, but if projectors are an option, I'd give serious thought to going that route.
G

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Shoving all the wiring and resistor boxes in the headlight housing was a pain, but it was worth it.
I doubt that I could get them out again (three boxes per headlight if memory serves me), but it won't matter if I change to the Alpha Rex lights.

821 - 837 of 837 Posts