Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Aisin vs Allison

454 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  TCDiesel
The time is near to upgrade the old farm truck, prolly in the next 5 years at most. I have an 01 Ra 2500 24v, but I know a good bit less about the new Rams. I have always had reservations about the Ram built trannys and as much as I love the Ram trucks (been around a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen, all 2500), I never wanted a Ram built tranny in my gooseneck pullin dually. So here is the question: how does the Aisin AS69RCHD (the updated hd one they came out with in 2013, I believe thats correct. . .) compare to the legendary Allison 1000? Is the Aisin as durable and dependable? Are the internals comparably/will they hold the same abuse? It will likely be used to pull a 30ft gooseneck and a big dump trailer, it will be taken care of but we do wanna be able to work it hard without being nervous. Any and all info appreciated. Also if there is something bout the trucks themselves I should know I definitely wanna hear. I know this is Cummins forum and I am not tryna start a brand war, just wanna know if this Aisin can match an Allison.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
I don't believe the AS69RC is exactly on par with Allison, but it's a huge improvement over the 68RFE.

A negative with the aisin would be you can't get a transmission tune for it, unlike the allison.

It's also a slower shifting transmission with the de-fueling between shifts compared to the fast shifting Allison

This is what makes the Aisin a reliable towing transmission though

However, the AS69RC from the factory is built to tow and proven to be reliable

They did have a little hiccup there with the 2022 model aisins it seems, but personally, I've never had an issue with my aisin since 2016 even with a bigger turbo

If there was more aftermarket parts available for the AS69RC and were able to allow transmission tuning then I think it would have the upper hand against the Allison.

3,411 Posts
When my AS69RC went in my 2014 at 70k kms it was torn down beside an Allison. The internals of the Allison are larger as well as the quality of some of the parts seems much better. If I were to swap an auto in my truck it would be an Allison.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,589 Posts
Received 362k miles out of my AS69RC in my 2014 RAM 3500......nothing but routine maintenance by the book.

Received 473k miles out of my AS69RC in my 2018 RAM 4500.....nothing but routine maintenance by the book. I had many GCW’s routinely around the 34,000 lbs to 36,000 lbs range.....and a few in excess of that (one at 42,020 lbs)

My current 2022 RAM 5500 is doing quite well at 71k miles.

Show me some scale tickets with an Allison 1000 between 36,000—38,000 to 42,000 lbs.

· Premium Member
37 Posts
I've had three GM trucks over the years all with the Allison 1000, a 08 GMC Dually being the last. My current truck is a 14 Ram 3500 Dually with the AISIN. Both have always performed well but all my Allisions ran hot, the AISIN runs much cooler even pulling heavy loads up long I15 grades.

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,589 Posts
Don't forget....the aisin option also gets you the high output version of the 6.7.
And.....for us lucky Cab & Chassis owners, we get the LO (Low Output) version instead.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

· Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Why should I care about the aftermarket...The Aisin is reliable HD Trans. I know of Many commercial Customers with 500K CC Rams, The Allison will make 500K also. I don't see a wrong choice with either one...Except this, The D-max and Ford share the same 10spd Allison for a reason, Ram Aisin was consuming the commercial Market...Okay for ALL you wimps don't buy commercial built Power plants and transmissions and complaint how they shift. Buy Duramax, Fords.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts