Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 2014 RAM 3500 6.7 WITH 9,670 ORIGINAL MILES,, totally stock never abused ( Garage Queen) with an Aisin AS69RC HD TRANS that LOSSES ABILITY TO MOVE TRUCK AFTER SITTING STATIC IN GARAGE FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS, after 1 1/2 rotations of the rear wheel the rear ( tail shaft driven pump) primes the system to the point the the transmission operates normally. I have been very careful to not slip the clutch packs. Any input to what is leaking off and the best course of action for repairs in the trans would be appreciated. thanks for any constructive advise.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Have you serviced the transmission prior? Hows the fluid level cold and hot?

Just spitballing, sounds like its starving for fluid. Could be low or could be the filter is not seated correctly and sucking air.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That was my first thought too. Is it low on ATF?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Try leaving it in neutral,not park upon starting.
Diesels are designed to work anyway not vegetate in garages.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try leaving it in neutral,not park upon starting.
Diesels are designed to work anyway not vegetate in garages.
They are also designed to be able to sit for two weeks without problems. Besides this is (likely) not a diesel problem but a transmission problem. I don’t think sitting two weeks is “vegetating” in a garage.

If it sat for months then that would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This is just a WAG,but I have read of the TC losing fluid when sitting,I think it was suggested to let the truck run for a bit before driving.

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Mine frequently sits for three or more months between uses and has never had a problem like that.

My '75 Jeep DJ (727 TorqueFlite ), on the other hand, only has to sit for a week or so. Then I'll have to let it idle for maybe 30 seconds before it'll move.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This is just a WAG,but I have read of the TC losing fluid when sitting,I think it was suggested to let the truck run for a bit before driving.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I’ve heard of anti drain back valve issues but thought those were limited to 68rfe trucks. Basically the valve is supposed to keep the converter full of fluid, but it fails and allows the converter to drain into the pan. Sometimes it’s the valve but typically, as said above, it’s a filter seating issue where the pan filter has come unseated and is sucking air.

Haven’t heard of this with Aisin trucks but I guess it’s conceivable. Maybe drop your pan and have a sniff at the filters to ensure they’re seated right. If you’re at the service interval it’s probably not a bad idea to go ahead and service the trans anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your responses. The TC leak back makes the most since, with less than 10,000 total miles i do not want to do exploratory surgery just yet, of course all fluids are at recommended levels and look and smell as new fluids would . The next time it does not produce enough pressure to move as it should i will let it run in neutral for a period of time to see if that helps the situation. Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks again

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
I think its air in the hydraulic circuit, bleeds off when shut down for a long time. Many ATM's have a priming valve, leaves circuit open to purge air out till fluid arrives and then a check ball is used to close off the leak. If you let it set and idle, how long before trans does engadge? Make sure fluid level is to spec. Probably not an easy task really and that trans uses a special pricey fluid, so do nt substitute, get what the mfg calls for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts