Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
I love the way the Aisin drives. Holds gears, not in any rush to upshift and does what I need it to do when towing. My only gripe is the 1st gear. I sure wish I could skip it and start from 2nd unless towing heavy.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
HTML:

This.
If you don’t like how the truck runs, your pretty much stuck because the Aisin can’t be tuned. I live at high altitude and the dead pedal and slowness drives me nuts but there is not much I can seem to do about it. Tried with a emissions in tact tune from calibrated power and it only made more top end power and nothing to improve response and low end. In fact it towed worse in the lower rpm range so I removed it and now have an expensive paperweight.

Drove a 19 Aisin and although the 3.73’s help, I am not convinced that it is enough of an improvement for me.[/QUOTE

There is a snake oil box out there that does pretty much resolve the dead pedal, I run one and it has helped out immensely with my Aisin trans on my DRW 3500.

·
Registered
806 Posts
No.

68rfe has way better driving characteristics and throttle response whether stock or tuned.

Aisin is a slightly better trans in stock form, but with tuning, the 68rfe will outperform it every day of the week.

Aisin has no tuning capability.

68rfe is cheaper than Aisin.

If you are after an SRW and go with a 2500 you get a cushy coil spring ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
HTML:
[/QUOTE

There is a snake oil box out there that does pretty much resolve the dead pedal, I run one and it has helped out immensely with my Aisin trans on my DRW 3500.
Is this the throttle sensitivity booster? I don’t have one but could never figure how it could help when I can floor it and still be frustrated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
HTML:

This.
If you don’t like how the truck runs, your pretty much stuck because the Aisin can’t be tuned. I live at high altitude and the dead pedal and slowness drives me nuts but there is not much I can seem to do about it. Tried with a emissions in tact tune from calibrated power and it only made more top end power and nothing to improve response and low end. In fact it towed worse in the lower rpm range so I removed it and now have an expensive paperweight.

Drove a 19 Aisin and although the 3.73’s help, I am not convinced that it is enough of an improvement for me.[/QUOTE

That’s interesting you have issues with yours at high altitude. I’m at high altitude with my 19 high output and the dead pedal drives me crazy!! For spending nearly 80k it’s frustrating to have to live with such a flaw. Fortunately I get a new truck every 2-3 years for tax purposes on my business if not I would probably get rid of it now.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
It's been said many times, dont floor it. Roll into the throttle smoothly and the truck will respond better. 800+ ftlbs and good traction is hard on stuff. The tuning is there to save the truck from the driver.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's been said many times, dont floor it. Roll into the throttle smoothly and the truck will respond better. 800+ ftlbs and good traction is hard on stuff. The tuning is there to save the truck from the driver.
Agreed. My Wife's 5.7 in her sequoia runs like my gen 2 tundras did. Like scalded apes off the line. If you create that start but will 250% more torque, a driver like me (and more so her) is gonna tear the driveline apart. They have to tune down the hole shot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Once I learned where the power curve is potent, the truck cam alive. I realize it's nice to be able to punch it feel it fly off the line. But feeling 1000 ft. lb come alive all at once, even though I'm already moving is really something I've never felt before. And when it feel exactly the same pulling heavy, that's a work of art. But definitely lacking in green light goosing. But they can have the lengths, I always catch up

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like my 19 with Aisin but Hate the lack of response from a dead stop!! I won’t go back to the 68 rfe either.
Make sure you drive a 19 before you buy one and pay close attention to how it responds when you get on it and need to go from a stop, it’s terrible. At this point I honestly can’t say I’d buy the truck again.
I just bought a 3500 with the Aisin. First thing I noticed was the lag. I found this cool little plug in by iDrive at the Linex bed liner dealer a few days later and the dead pedal went away on the automatic setting. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity as needed also. Solved it completely for me.

https://idrive-usa.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just bought a 3500 with the Aisin. First thing I noticed was the lag. I found this cool little plug in by iDrive at the Linex bed liner dealer a few days later and the dead pedal went away on the automatic setting. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity as needed also. Solved it completely for me.

It took you 8 years to post and this is what you post?

·
Registered
330 Posts

Is this for real?

·
Registered
11 Posts
re: "It took you 8 years to post and this is what you post?"

LOL. Yep! Is that a problem? I'm on my 4th Ram Cummins, and generally only come around when I have a problem or am buying a new truck. I like what I learn around here, but I don't have much time for chitchat usually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is this for real?
Not sure what you are asking, but it works for me. And it came highly recommended by other local Ram owners who have used it.

My 13 Ram had that throttle lag--I lived with it until I did the delete. When I picked up my 19 last week, it was like, "Oh hell... not another 100K of this!" The first person to mention the iDrive to me was the parts guy at my dealer. Then, the Linex guy had one in stock when I went for the bed liner, so I had him plug it in. It just replaces the stock potentiometer input from your pedal with an adjustable one that has a controller stuck to the dash.

It absolutely got rid of the dreaded lag for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not sure what you are asking, but it works for me. And it came highly recommended by other local Ram owners who have used it.

My 13 Ram had that throttle lag--I lived with it until I did the delete. When I picked up my 19 last week, it was like, "Oh hell... not another 100K of this!" The first person to mention the iDrive to me was the parts guy at my dealer. Then, the Linex guy had one in stock when I went for the bed liner, so I had him plug it in. It just replaces the stock potentiometer input from your pedal with an adjustable one that has a controller stuck to the dash.

It absolutely got rid of the dreaded lag for me.
So I went to that site but they didn’t have one listed for our truck. Any tips?

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks promising, does it affect the factory warranty at all?
It was the dealer who originally suggested using it when I purchased the truck. The salesman and couple of people in the parts department were telling me about it, and they assured me it didn't affect the warranty.

I would assume, that since it doesn't interface with the programming in any way that leaves a footprint, and that it is such a simple plug-n-play option, you can unplug it if you worry about it.

I also assume, given the hostile environment created by the EPA towards delete kits and programming, that they would be fervently trying to shut this down if it crossed any of those lines.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts