Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ive gota quick ? about the airdog draw straw when i get 2 like 1/2 tank my edge says low fuel pressure when i stop and go at stop signs and sometimes when i turn i just got my airdog like last week and i didnt have 2 trim it, it was about 3/8 from bottom of tank does anyone else have this problem or is this normal thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
its only when at half a tank or less? Makes me think you should cut a 45* angle on it, might be sucking bottom of the tank, a half tank of fuel weighs a lot and the tank can un bulge with out that weight

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its half tank or less

·
Registered
450 Posts
my guess is your sucking the bottom of the tank, did you slash the end of it? If not try that and get back to us

·
Cummins Freak
140 Posts
I just install mine last week and have notice a drop but not until i have atleast a 1/4 of a tank remaining. it'll run around 19psi and doesnt drop below 16psi at the lowest. mine is a 1/2 off the bottom. and had about a 1/2 tank when it was installed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but when i have a full tank its perfectly fine

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do u suggest just leaving the bottom of the straw flat or like moparmans illustration

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
do u suggest just leaving the bottom of the straw flat or like moparmans illustration
Mine is not flat... It got grooves in the bottom of the tube to prevent sucking flat... But the problem is fuel sloosh... I've got a solution to the problem but I haven't tried it yet.

Take and hook both fuel pickups together on a Tee and then put a shutoff valve on the draw straw so when you are low you can shutdown the draw straw and run the stock pickup. But in the on position both pickup will be used.

But mine only does it right at 1/8 of tank is when the low light pops on and the gauge falls... (Fuel sloosh).

Look closely there is 4 grooves in the bottom of the tube... I took my shop grinder and touched the end of the tube and put 4 grooves in the end of the straw to prevent sucking the bottom of the tank. I've got roughly 1/8" from the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i just installed mine and put the 6 gallons i siphoned out back in. it was 1/4 tank and it was great when i hit the gas but when i brake, it owuld drop pressure to 1! not cool. the dang gas tank is like five feet long which is the problem. im thinking about getting another straw, making is shorter, and maybe making a little tray like the stocjk one to go with my straw so it retains a bit of fuel when it sloshes. gonna be a ghetto fab but it might work... i havent decided hgow to do it yet butr thats my idea. if anyone has another idea let me know!
thanks becuase 1/4 tank suckin air isnt cool with me

·
Registered
162 Posts
i meant making the straw closer to the bottom. sorry

·
Registered
205 Posts
My only question is, did you have the in tank pump when you went to the Air Dog? If you can find an old style sender with the sock on it, go back to that. My dealer had replaced my pump once, when they said I had to go the in tank pump route, I bought the Air Dog and installed that. I still have the old school pick up and sender and I have no slosh issues. I have to get some parts from my guy in the morning, I'll see if the part number is still valid... Good Luck
Chris

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Be aware that the stock pickup can only be used for the AirDog 100 not the AirDog 150. The AirDog 150 draws in so much fuel that you will have a low fuel pressure problem under WOT...

I should know I used the stock pickup sender for my Airdog 150 and way seeing 10 PSI at WOT... So I installed the draw straw the problem gone...

But I still think you can tee into the stock sender and put a valve on the draw straw so when you get low you can switch over to the stock pickup and reduce the amount of air sucking...:w:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the airdog gets ride of the stock lift pump it goes from the tank to the airdog to the vp44 and you would need the stock motor mounted lift pump for the return to the tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts