Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyboby got any pics on were they installed there draw straw on an 01 cummins and if u put it in front on the sendi unit does it get low fuel pressure when u get on the skinny pedal hard at 1/4 tank??

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Here you go...

Here is my fuel pressure...

The only time I have a bit of trouble is climbing steep hills with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel then it might suck air... The only other time is stabbing the throttle WOT with less than 1/4 Tank I will suck air for a sec or so...

But look at the pic my tube is nearly touching the bottom of the tank. It's notched and has about 1/8" inch clearance to the bottom of the tank...:w:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my tank is not like that i only got the one hump behind the sending unit and in front of the sending unit it is pretty much flat i dont got that hump u got urs on

·
Registered
301 Posts
my straw sucks air at 1/4 tank too.... the mfg said i cut it too short ? even if i did there is NO WAY it wouldn't draw air because it has no baffle ! i think i may make one someday, but till then its always refill before 1/4 tank. kinda keeps it easier on the wallet too

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mines suckin air at 3/4 tank right now while breaking and turning.... i just want to know were i should move it

·
Registered
301 Posts
yikes !

here is where i put mine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that in front of the sending unit????

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
if u put it in front on the sendi unit does it get low fuel pressure when u get on the skinny pedal hard at 1/4 tank??
Why would the location of the straw make a difference? (just curious) And i'm really confused as to why its location in relation to the sending unit would matter?!?:popcorn:

·
Registered
301 Posts
no it doesn't matter one bit. mine is located to the rear of the sending unit. thats where the MFG suggests.

·
Registered
606 Posts
mines suckin air at 3/4 tank right now while breaking and turning.... i just want to know were i should move it
:agree2: mine starts it at half a tank every time i stop it and it swished around the psi drops to 0 then comes backs up

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats y im moving mine all the stop and go moves the fuel around a lot cause air to be sucked in

·
Registered
555 Posts
I mounted my straw too far to the rear and it sits about 1" from the bottom and starts starving at more than 1/2 a tank. So I have a new draw straw and will be installing it where Michael (Mopar1973Man) did. So it leaves a few options....

1. Plug the output of the rear straw so it's sealed.

2. Remove the rear straw and try to patch the hole in the top of the tank.

3. Use both straws in an attempt to get the best of both worlds.

My issue with #3 is this. If one of the straws gets air, the pump will draw that air in since it's the path of least resistance. If the rear straw is 1" from the bottom, this will happen a lot. If the front straw is dang near flush to the bottom, I think I'd better off with only that one.

So I'm leaning toward option #1 assuming I can find a fitting to plug it. Anyone know what size I'd need?

If you have any suggestions, let's hear it. I'm hoping to start in a couple hours... :)

Tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts