Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in 3rd gen by accident. My truck is a 2nd gen. 1999 3500.

On Sunday my AD started blowing fuses. I had noticed that at startup, it wasn't sounding like it usually did. I thought it was the fuel. I wonder now if the pump motor was sticking. Anyway, I called PureFlow yesterday and left a message for Anthony and have not heard back. I called again today and I guess they are all out of the office because of the weather. Either way, I am NOT impressed with the research I've done in the past few days about this pump. Anyone who knows anything about Google should understand that searching for "airdog blowing fuses" should not yield so many results.

My truck is dead right now because I did not hook up a backup pump. I figured a backup pump wasn't necessary on an Airdog because of it's "outstanding" warranty and "exceptional quality". My bad! I do have an older Carter and a Holley Blue I can install tomorrow when the weather is better (above 20 F.)

If I do not get a call from PureFlow pretty DAMN QUICK, I'm going with a mechanical pump and will do my level best to reply in every forum how PureFlow Technologies Airdog sucks (not in the good way).

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, try searching for "Airdog blowing fuses" on Google and discover for yourself.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Posted this in 3rd gen by accident. My truck is a 2nd gen. 1999 3500.

On Sunday my AD started blowing fuses. I had noticed that at startup, it wasn't sounding like it usually did. I thought it was the fuel. I wonder now if the pump motor was sticking. Anyway, I called PureFlow yesterday and left a message for Anthony and have not heard back. I called again today and I guess they are all out of the office because of the weather. Either way, I am NOT impressed with the research I've done in the past few days about this pump. Anyone who knows anything about Google should understand that searching for "airdog blowing fuses" should not yield so many results.

My truck is dead right now because I did not hook up a backup pump. I figured a backup pump wasn't necessary on an Airdog because of it's "outstanding" warranty and "exceptional quality". My bad! I do have an older Carter and a Holley Blue I can install tomorrow when the weather is better (above 20 F.)

If I do not get a call from PureFlow pretty DAMN QUICK, I'm going with a mechanical pump and will do my level best to reply in every forum how PureFlow Technologies Airdog sucks (not in the good way).

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, try searching for "Airdog blowing fuses" on Google and discover for yourself.
dude that sucks but all the searches i found was alot got replacement pumps :/ i was thinking about getting one but i dont know if i want to be stranded deff when i drive to corpus or to utopia or to austin being 200 miles differences or somewhere downtown austin. How Long have you had it and is it possible to keep the original pump in the truck for backup??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen others create a bypass setup with their old carter or Holley. I will most likely do that when temps get warmer. I do hope that the complaints I've seen are rare and that 99% are satisfied. I really hate to think I blew $600 on a pump that lasted no longer than the POS Carters do. I believe I've had it about 2.5 yrs. I really wanted to go with the mechanical pump when I first did this but that $900 price tag was just a tad steep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked up the mechanical pumps and I see that they are the same price as an airdog. That was NOT the case when I got mine. If you are considering a different lift pump, you should REALLY consider the mechanical pump.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
kool where are they at..website??

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just did a Google search and it seems like many of the topics that popped up where regarding an unused connector on a GM truck shorting out. Not very many of the ones I found where regarding bad pumps, although I know Pureflow did have some they were replacing under warranty several years ago.

I know that most everything I have ever read about these pumps was positive and I know I have been very happy with my decision to install one 3 years ago. Great pump, easy to install and has been 100% trouble free.

If you think they are out of the office for some reason why don't you give them a chance to get back to you before you use 3 of the 4 posts you have on this site bashing the piss out of them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, I can't say much for their Customer Service either. After I left three messages over a period of 3-4 days, I finally received a call. (Anthony, I think it was).
He answered my question, after I had fixed the problem myself. The whole time he acted like I was taking up his time and was in a hurry to get off the phone.
Shortly after, the pump relay that comes with AirDog went bad. I could hear it "clicking" but it wouldn't engage and start the pump. I pulled it all apart and wired it up with a basic 30 amp relay from Advance Auto using the stock lift pump harness to trigger it. Seems to be working fine now, always yielding 13-16 PSI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, I hope that I'm just one of the very few who has a bad pump. But after the thread I read earlier on this very site and a few others, I have serious questions now about Pureflow's customer service. Maybe it's just a few bad apples in that company. I did call them yesterday when they were IN the office. They could have returned the call saying "check this, check that" or maybe they could have said, "got your call. we are swamped but you are on our radar". When you throw $1200 at a new VP and then $600 at a lift pump, you expect the setup to last longer than 1/3 of the time the original crap setup lasted. But then again, as I've read before, maybe the VP will work fine through a dead carter for a while but will die quickly through a dead Airdog because the restriction is much greater. I don't know. What I do know is my truck is not working right now because of the Airdog failure and working on it outside in 15 degree temps is NOT on my bucket list.

BTW, the mechanical pump I was looking at is the Fuel Boss from www.glacierdiesel.com

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, I hope they work it out for you. Keep us informed, particularly about what caused the failure and how it is remedied.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely sing their praises if I'm crying wolf about nothing. From what I've read so far, the failures are either motor related due to shorting within the motor, or bearing failure. I fear that they will ask me to verify that by pulling it off the truck. It is 10 F here in Dallas and it will be that cold for a few days. I will let y'all know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts