Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an airdog 150 on my 01 2500. It holds pressure fine 14-17 generally but when it gets to 3/8 of a tank the pressure drops all the way down to 1 sometimes under acceleration and braking (fuel sloshing around Im assuming). Its only for a few seconds but the pressure alarm on my edge goes off. Anybody know if this is typical or a way to fix it other than always having a full tank? Also how bad is it for the pressure to drop that low for 1-3 seconds (by the way the pick up tube is almost all the way to the bottom of the tank with a cross hole drilled 1/4 above bottom) Thanks

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
It sounds like you done what I did, and put your tube too far forward (or back). Mine is prone to drop pressure if I go below 1/4 tank and happen to stand on the fun pedal uphill. There is no cure, other than buying another straw and trying to get it a little lower and centered.

P.S. You may have a problem on the sender as well, You may be lower than you think...

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I'm in the same boat as well but I know I got mine to the bottom of the tank...:w:

(Less than 1/8" between the tube and the bottom. I notch the end of the tube though)...

But I still get the LOW PRESSUE light pop on hard stops and hard acceleration...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I guess its kinda nice to see im not the only one with this problem

·
Registered
219 Posts
has anyone figured out a solution to this yet?? i heard that airdog is in the process of trying to solve this but havent heard anymore on it.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anybody come up with a fix? just drove from OH to VA and back and it sucks having to stop to refuel just beacuse its getting close to 1/4 tank

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
has anyone figured out a solution to this yet?? i heard that airdog is in the process of trying to solve this but havent heard anymore on it.....
I've got a solution to the problem and its a fairly easy fix...

Hook up your stock sender again and put a tee in so you can have both pickups working but add a valve to the draw straw so when you are low on fuel you can shut dow the draw straw...

This is my answer but I've never tried it yet... But soon I'll get the parts I need and hook it up... I'll make a write up of it...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I have the 150 too, I installed my draw straw into the fuel modual so that the straw goes into the "cup" I've yet to run out of fuel or have low pressure, and I've been down to 1/8 tank with the light on.
I followed inst from Mark @ coaltrain diesel

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Now guys don't get me wrong... I've been all the way down to the EMPTY mark with mine but I got to drive light and easy not to shake the fuel around...

But I will get the parts soon to hook my stock pickup with the draw straw. Then I'll add a shut off valve to the draw straw. This will allow me to run on the stock pickup for low fuel operation...:w:

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Gonna be installing my 150 soon, and hope ya'll can get a cure for this. I wanna do it right the first time!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nickg- did you cut the hole for the straw in the top of the sending unit or come in from the side somehow? I finally pulled mine back out to look at it and it looks like I could go in from the one spot on the top but it seems kinda tight thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the same thought of hooking up the stock tube with a valve. However, I think if I can put it in the stock housing that seems like it would fix the problem and wouldn't have to worry about turning a valve on and off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone else have any ideas? I installed the tube in the oringinal bucket and cut some holes in it to let fuel in but apparently didnt cut enough or big enough because it is sucking all the fuel out before it can refill. Cant go the stock route because my lift pump was getting weak, thats why I went with this in the first place. Im gonna have to drop the tank again and see if I can figure anything else out. Talked to a tech at airdog and they didnt have any suggestions, pretty much said that they are trying to find a solution to fix all the models and are not addressing them separatly so I guess Im on my own. With that said and the instructions Im not all that impressed so far. Pump works good but need the get the bugs worked out

·
Registered
86 Posts
from what you're saying I'm not impressed either. The Airdog was on my "to buy" list but maybe I need to stick with the holey blue for now.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just installed mine and I put it right behind the stock pick-up tube and I can run it down to 1/8 tank before I have problems and I only have problems under hard braking. I also pulled my bed and did it with a 1/2 tank of fuel so the bottom of the tank was dropped down. I also cut it 1/16 of an inch to long then I checked it when it was at an 1/8 of a tank and It wasn't pushing it out of the grommet. Overall I'm happy with my install. :party018:

·
05 CUMMINS
1,615 Posts
Install

Go to DTR look in search Forum For
Willies 53 Mega cab install. I installed
mine the same way and have no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts