Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the fuel filter yesterday for the first time at 9,000 miles. What a piece of crap!! The filter from Cummins said USER FRIENDLY FILTER on the side. What a joke!! My 03 was user friendly and cheap. This one left me with diesel all over my arms,axle,frame and driveway.And it cost $33.
I want a frame mounted system now. I had the FASS on my 03. It was the newer version 95GPH. It was good, but still noisy. I want to try airdog. The 100 and 150 are the same price. Why wouldn't everyone go with the 150? Is it bigger or louder? I would like the extra 1/2 mile to the gallon and the idea of getting a 3 micron filter. Thanks,
Garry

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harvey! Clean install. What micron filter is that. Can you hear the pump?
Garry

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
its a 3 micron filter and the pump is only noticed when the grid heater is warming up before you start her up, once she's runnin you'd never know!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The filter is actually a 2 micron filter. I called and asked when I got my Airdog 150 since the filter said 2 micron and it was advertised as a 3 micron filter. Was told that it's a fleetguard 2 micron filter with their name on it, and they got so many questions about why theirs said 3 micron by those that knew it ws a Fleetguard that they just changed it to two (since that's what Fleetguard says it is anyway). That's the story I got anyway.

Since the 100 and 150 were the same price, I got the 150 since this is America and more is better, don't you know. Actually just finished the install this evening.

What's the science behind the "too big a pump can cause hard starts"? Can't see any reason why that would be the case, but maybe I'll learn something. All the lift pump does is supply the CP3, so don't see how that would impact starting the engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The filter is actually a 2 micron filter. I called and asked when I got my Airdog 150 since the filter said 2 micron and it was advertised as a 3 micron filter. Was told that it's a fleetguard 2 micron filter with their name on it, and they got so many questions about why theirs said 3 micron by those that knew it ws a Fleetguard that they just changed it to two (since that's what Fleetguard says it is anyway). That's the story I got anyway.

Since the 100 and 150 were the same price, I got the 150 since this is America and more is better, don't you know. Actually just finished the install this evening.

What's the science behind the "too big a pump can cause hard starts"? Can't see any reason why that would be the case, but maybe I'll learn something. All the lift pump does is supply the CP3, so don't see how that would impact starting the engine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Harvey. Hey Cloudy! let us know how the starts are, and the sound is. If Awenthol is right, I'll get the 100. Otherwise I'll get the 150. Even if I probably don't need it with my mild mods, I think the same that bigger is better. Especially since I'd be putting in the 2 micron filter. Did you pay $499 for yours?
Garry

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's an addiction, you might as well get the bigger one before you decide to add the MP-8 and tunner. I can't stop, that's why I went with the 150, I knew in the long run, I'd need more:lol3:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes on the $499 price. The truck started just fine, and I can't see any reason why more gallons per hour would make any difference in starting, since the pump just feeds the CP3 anyway. Airdog (can't remember the actual company name at the moment) indicated the relief valve is set a 17psi on the 150, but can't check that out until I replumb the Pricol gauge I had earlier installed on the stock filter. I removed the stock filter element, plugged the discharge side (12mm 1.5 thread I believe) of the stock filter, and ran the Airdog discharge directly to the CP3. I wanted to keep the stock filter heater in the loop for winter time, but for what it's worth Airdog told me even without the heater they haven't seen much gelling problem due to the high pump rate keeping things mixed up in the tank. The other reason I kept the stock filter housing is I don't want to bother figuring out how to tie the (Banjo fitting) common rail relief valve and CP3 return lines together with the stock filter housing return lines.

You can definitely hear the pump running before you start the truck, but i don't notice it once it's running what with the 5" TBE. Have only run it from the shop 1/2 mile to the house so far though.

If you go with the 150, make sure you really look inside the tank before you drill the draw straw hole. There are a couple of raised dimples in the bottom of the tank that I just missed when I drilled the tank just forward of the existing pump. I nearly hit one with the straw and would have lost 1/2" of capacity if I had. Doesn't sound like much but I'd run the truck till it only had about 1" left in it and would have had to go get 5 gallons just to get to the station to fill it.

Hope this helps,
Bill

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
JPARK had both of them for 490 shipped with the syphone tube and the wire kit. If they are the same price go with the 150. If there was a 100 dollar or more difference i would use the 100. I dont think we will be making enough power to ever need a 150.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bill, I always run my tank right to the bottom too! Usually fill up over 30 gallons.
Garry

·
Registered
213 Posts
JPARK had both of them for 490 shipped with the syphone tube and the wire kit. If they are the same price go with the 150. If there was a 100 dollar or more difference i would use the 100. I dont think we will be making enough power to ever need a 150.
Pretty Sure he meant Jbarker... Thats who I will probably be buying mine from as well... Great Guy with Great cutomer service! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
any excess fuel should pass through the CP3, back to the tank...... I can't see why using a 150 on a even a stock truck wouldn't be okay.

I would assume if anything....that pump life would be the consideration. From what I understand of the airdog, the motor is the same, it just has a different cut on the impellar?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Cloudy, got any pics to post of the install?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Will take some pics tomorrow when I change the oil and then see if I can manage to post them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts