Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Airbags

3030 Views 25 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  dom42
I have been thinking of getting something to help a little with the weight I've got in my truck all the time (horseshoeing equipment). I've tossed around the thought of just adding an extra leaf spring, but my dad has used the Timbren rubber springs and he swears by them. I've also thought of air bags, but I don't know if they may be a little overkill for me. I don't like the thought of installing a compressor and the like.
I guess I just need some feedback from anyone who has had any of the above done and what you think now. Three options: extra leaf, Timbren rubber spring, or airbags.:confused013:
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Airbags are the way to go. You don't have to add a compressor, but its handy. A bicycle pump works great as they are high-pressure and low volume.

I have the Firestones and couldn't be happier. I also have a compressor, but no incab adjustments.

· Registered
173 Posts
I haul a slide in camper and installed the firestone ride rite air bags and don't regret it. Didn't have the coin for the on board compressor so I bought one those cheap 12v compressors which works great for the air bags but slow pumping up tires.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I have Pac Brake bags connected to my exhaust brake compressor, controlled by an AirLift wireless controller, no wires, hose to run into the cab, no big ugly gauge under the dash, works slick.

· Registered
2,472 Posts

I went with the AirLift 5000 and never looked back...put the valves on top of the license plate for quick adjustment with a little 12v pump for my atv.

· Registered
262 Posts
I had Firestone Ride Rites on my 01' 2500. HATED THEM !! because you had to air them down after the load was removed. I personally thought they made the truck sway too, but I had a very large, heavy and tall camper in the bed...

I just got Timbrens for my 03' 3500 but I got the ones for the 2500 b/c they are rated for 6000 lbs instead of 8600 lbs. Haven't installed them yet. I also just got Bilsteins, so I will installing those too.

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts
I've got the airlift bags and love em. I use the manual fill, put them over on my driver side wheel well with my GN hitch lever, I don't mind filling them up and airing them down :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I had Firestone Ride Rites on my 01' 2500. HATED THEM !! because you had to air them down after the load was removed. I personally thought they made the truck sway too, but I had a very large, heavy and tall camper in the bed...

I just got Timbrens for my 03' 3500 but I got the ones for the 2500 b/c they are rated for 6000 lbs instead of 8600 lbs. Haven't installed them yet. I also just got Bilsteins, so I will installing those too.
I will be curious about how you like the Timbrens if that botherd you on the airbags.. as you will fell the timbrens at times (at least based on the reviews I have read).

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas! Looks like I'm going to go with the air bags! Better get a good tax refund!:party018:

· Registered
262 Posts
I will be curious about how you like the Timbrens if that botherd you on the airbags.. as you will fell the timbrens at times (at least based on the reviews I have read).
I actually had the DR3500CA (8600 lb rating) on this truck when I had the 4100 lb Eagle Cap camper. I sold them with the camper as a package deal. I LOVED them. They were very stable in any kind of turns or curves.

With my 2100 lb kingpin weight of my 5er, it drops my rear suspension around 3 to 4" onto the overloads. I am going to install the DR2500CA (6000 lb rating) because I want to help my rear suspension but not as much as the 8600 lb Timbrens... plus the 6000 lb ones were at least $50 to $100 less... ($158 delivered to my door...)

Regards,
Louis

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Air bags you can adjust for your load or a big long soft rubber snubber that takes your weight when loaded, now let me thing here, which would be better... :thumbsup:

· Registered
978 Posts
Firestone bags here too, love em! But I do like the look of the bags on the pic above (airlift bags). I think the Firestones could be mounted a little better but they are not gonna fall off or out. Airbags are very simple to install and use!

· Registered
496 Posts
i went with airlift bags with onboard compressor on my old 05. i mounted the compressor under the rear seat and put two vavles by the rear license plate in case my compressor ever went out. i loved em an would never go any other way. The airlift kit only cost me i think $350 or so and the bags were warrenty for lifetime i think. i liked beign able to adjust as i went down the road for a better ride and no matter the weight truck was always level. also install was only 2-3 hours and a 12 pack

· Registered
3,891 Posts
i went w/ firestone bags and don't ever regret...i didn't get compressor and in cab controller...i just have it plumbed to the lower bolts on my license plate...when i know im going to have a load i put air in them prior to hookin g up......25lbs is good for a 15000lbs hitch pull

· Registered
12,283 Posts
Carli long travel bags here. My camper's on all the time,and they don't inhibit spring travel as they are mounted inboard. I had Firestone's before and they were like rocks compared to these. If you're looking for cheap sway control also,it's hard to beat the Rancho 9000's. Crank them up to max when the camper's on there,then back them off to mush when unladen.

· Registered
1,690 Posts

I went with the AirLift 5000 and never looked back...put the valves on top of the license plate for quick adjustment with a little 12v pump for my atv.
Does anyone have a link to these airbags. The only airbags I can find mount right on top of the leaf springs, don't think it will work for me since I have removed the lift blocks and placed them on top. Or would it be difficult to moddify them to fit on the inside of the leaf springs?

· Registered
2,472 Posts
Does anyone have a link to these airbags. The only airbags I can find mount right on top of the leaf springs, don't think it will work for me since I have removed the lift blocks and placed them on top. Or would it be difficult to moddify them to fit on the inside of the leaf springs?
I got these from 4wheelparts...if you Google em' you can find a bunch of places that sell them, as well as an application guide from the mfg. One thing that was misleading is the stock photo of these bags all show them being mounted on top of the spring...so don't pay any attention to that. I had to remove the rubber bumpstop to put these on. Was a piece of cake. Some companies do mount them on the outside of the frame rail on top of the leaf spring...I always worry what would happen in the event of a blowout with those.

If you removed your lift blocks, I'm sure the factory "blocks" are a few little plates stacked together, did you lower the rear?

· Registered
2,472 Posts

Different angle...

· Registered
469 Posts
I have the Firestone bags with the compressor mounted on the frame of my truck just under the drivers side and the controls and gauge in the cab. I absolutely love it, like stated above, I can adjusst for ride while driving down the road. The Firestones don't mount on top of the springs either. They mount a little different than the one in the pic, but in the same place. Go with the airbags and you will never regret it. You can go with just the bags now, and add the compressor and controls later as $$ permits. There are a lot of nice kits out there, I'm eyeing the wireless set up now, it looks very nice!! But is is more $$.

Doug

Reactions: txag09
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.