Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Airbag Light and weird shifting

969 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  blackcummins95
Ok so randomly my airbag light in my dash comes on, and my tranny does so odd stuff.

When i fire it up and go to leave it like sticks in first gear then shifts at aprox 2 grand if i hold down the throttle, or if i rev up and let off it shifts fine. then will not do it again for the rest of the time the truck is running. If i kill it, the next time i fire it up it does the same thing. But only once.

Also, sometimes when i'm drivin like a jackass and go round a corner, it seems to forget what gear its in and kinda rev out between 2nd and 3rd for like 2 seconds before deciding what gear to be in. This only happens maybe once a week, if that. completely random. Also, fromt time to time if i'm honkin on it in 3rd OD off and locked up, it'll unlock. Nver at the same rpm or load... just randomly... but in 4th, OD on it never does it... ever. i don't have a TC lock-up switch installed altho i do have a switch sitting in my glove box to wire in some day. I'm thinkin maybe the gov pressure solenoid is on it's way ? maybe some background noise in my wiring somewhere ? gimme your thoughts.

OH and i just replaced my thermostat, now instead of it kinda sitting around 150 ish it stays right around 190 the old one used to open and close all the time, then shat the bed. is it beneficial to have the one that opens and closes constantly... or one that seems to stay @ 1 temp ?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump bump bump

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a tranny rebuild.
IMO it's better to have a stat that opens and closes.
The temp swings are normal due to the location of the coolant temp sensor.
Fighting the swings is fighting a non-problem.

· Registered
41 Posts
There is a air bag light switch in the steering coloum and it will cause the cruise controll and the horn not to work if it goes bad. I think it is called a clock spring.

· Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tranny is brand new. put it in in like march.

as far as the clock spring OD and horn have never given me a problem, other then the light stopped workin on the OD button.

· Registered
261 Posts
There is a air bag light switch in the steering coloum and it will cause the cruise controll and the horn not to work if it goes bad. I think it is called a clock spring.
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! My airbag light is on, the cruise control doesn't work, and the horn blows fuses!!!!! I had no idea they were connected!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.