Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started thinking...and when I start thinking, bad things happen. So I decided to bounce this off ya'll while I was still in the brainstorming phase so that I dont waste any time or money on this plan.

I am doing a 12v swap, and space will be limited in the engine compartment, thought plentiful elsewhere. I could run an air to air IC if I wanted to lift the truck even more, but I would like to try a liquid to air.

Now, maybe I am mistaken somehow, but I would think that for a trail rig, ie, under 20mph, an air to air IC isn't going to be very efficient.

With the liquid to air set up, I would be able to use a much larger radiator in the back of the truck, complete with fans, etc, and dump the heat from the liquid back into the ambient air that way.

Weight is not an issue with my rig.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, with the lack of serious plumbing, it MAY be possible to run a liquid to air IC, BETWEEN the compound turbos.

Lemme know what ya'll think about that too ;)

Ok, one more thing I had to add in here with an edit. I was reading about Compressed Natural Gas Systems today on dieselpower's website. They use engine coolant to convert the liquid into a gas. I think you could instead use your liquid to air intercoolers water supply to heat that regulator, and thereby increase the overall cooling effect on the water return line. I know this wont be as good as ice water, but every bit helps, and its just a few extra feet of water line. Just a thought.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Why not just run a water/meth set up and use more water. Your water from recirc will start to heat up and not cool as good after a some miles

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Well below 20mph and cruising on the trail your not going to be making gobs of power, therefore your IAT won't be affected by the turbo as much..

A good set of elec fans would help thou...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just run a water/meth set up and use more water. Your water from recirc will start to heat up and not cool as good after a some miles
No, it wouldn't. I'd be using a secondary radiator mounted either in the bed of the truck.

And to AH64ID, always nice to meet a fellow rotorhead ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Water to Air intercoolers work great in certain applications. But they can ususly only cool the intake charge under high load conditions for maybe a min. or less. This is because they are usually used where space is limited so the water cooler radiator is smaller. They also use small pumps which means the hot water is not taken out of the IC very quickly after it is heated under loaded conditions.

In your case: You could use a big (truck sized) radiator in the back which should be able to get the water back down to 100* no matter how hot it comes in at. You could also use a much higher capacity water pump to move the hot water out of the IC fast enough to keep the air cool. Keep in mind that this would mean less time for it to cool as well.

It is not like you are pulling with this thing. Worst case scenario would be constant mud boging. Is that what you are planning? If so I may encourage you to simply locate your air to air IC in the back of the truck if you cannot get it up front.

Conventional wisdom is that air to water only works when boost is used in short bursts with a lot of cool down time in between. However, I don't see why it couldn't work even in a towing application. Its just a matter of whether or not you can get the radiator big enough I would think. It is the same principle as the cooling system for an engine. You are simply cooling a much more variable and possibly bigger heat load.

I'm sure that you can find calculations based on the temp output of the turbo that could tell you what size radiators and flow you would need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input Macanic21,

You put it into terms that I didn't, but I'm glad you understand the concept thats in my head. I totally understand the typical application of a liquid to air IC, but I was thinking with a radiator the size I'm talking about, it'd work just fine.

The thing I would have to look into is after the IC heats up, and becomes slightly less effective than an air to air IC, (due to the two heat transfers instead of one and heat sinking) would the gain of pressure be enough of a benefit to outweigh the loss in effeciency? I'll have to answer that one at a later time.

Also, the entire application I'm talking about will cost half as much as an aftermarket air to air. If it works "nearly" as good, it might still be worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
I guess it depends on the cooler you use.

If you use an aftercooler like the cummins ones, which circulate engine coolant through them, your then limited to your cooling systems ability to do its job efficiently. but, like you mentioned its no big deal to mount a big rad out back with an electric fan to do the job.

We use factory aftercooled 4BT3.9 130hp engines on some of our drills, they run flat out pretty much 24/7 and most of the time under high load (turbo is lit up all day) and cooling has never been an issue.

Ive heard that they sell the same thing for the 6bts, not sure if its the same thing just bigger or what...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts