Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the air suspension has been out a while; is it good to go or are there inherent problems with it?

If using a 3500 DRW to tow a 16k trailer with a 3100lb hitch weight is the air suspension really needed or would the normal suspension be just fine?

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
I don't think I've heard of anyone having any suspension issues with the rear self levelling suspension, except for a couple that have been used beyond their design limits.

I have it on my 2500 and haven't had a single issue with it in 363K miles and 3.5 years.

Now, the 2500 is a full air suspension, while the 3500 air suspension is a supplemental setup.

Is it needed? Of course not, was never available until a few years ago, and guys have been towing heavier trailers than you are looking at for years before that.

A 16K trailer can be towed by a current year model 2500 even.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I've heard of anyone having any suspension issues with the rear self levelling suspension, except for a couple that have been used beyond their design limits.

I have it on my 2500 and haven't had a single issue with it in 363K miles and 3.5 years.

Now, the 2500 is a full air suspension, while the 3500 air suspension is a supplemental setup.

Is it needed? Of course not, was never available until a few years ago, and guys have been towing heavier trailers than you are looking at for years before that.

A 16K trailer can be towed by a current year model 2500 even.
I do realize the towing capacity is there on the 2500 but the payload capacity on the 2500 is not close at all to the hitch weight of 3100lbs. Are you saying it is ok to go over the payload rating by that much?

I probably should have asked if the air suspension really is a big benefit over the stock suspension for the hitch weight I am looking at; instead of asking if it is needed.

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
I do realize the towing capacity is there on the 2500 but the payload capacity on the 2500 is not close at all to the hitch weight of 3100lbs. Are you saying it is ok to go over the payload rating by that much?

I probably should have asked if the air suspension really is a big benefit over the stock suspension for the hitch weight I am looking at; instead of asking if it is needed.
The subject of 2500 towing has been beaten to death. I tow heavy a LOT, and exceed the factory "payload" rating on a regular basis, it means nothing. I don't consider it overloaded until I would exceed the tire load limits, which wouldn't be with a 3100 pin.

Now, 3100 pound pin is at the upper limit of the 2500 self levelling capacity, at least when I have a full auxiliary tank, but still not over the tire limits. But, a 3100 pin wouldn't come close to the capacity of the 3500 self levelling suspension.

As to the benefit of the self levelling rear air suspension, to me it is the best option I added to my truck, and is the second of the reasons I bought my truck, first being the Mega cab.

Ride is very good, and self levelling means I never have an azz dragging truck, drop the trailer on it and a few seconds later the suspension lifts it right back up to the set ride height.

You do whatever you're comfortable with, my truck works perfectly fine for my needs, and is plenty safe and comfortable.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I’m guessing the 3100lbs brings you pretty close to the rear axle rating which it should be able to carry.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I had leafs only from the factory on my '13 3500 and added Air Lift bags which worked well for me when towing. But the air ride on my '18 with softer leafs works amazing well. Unloaded she rides like a dream. Loaded it's not as stiff as the '13 that I could take up to 100 psi but still works great. AND I don't have to add air every time I tow or haul.

My experience is only with the 3500 system.

Reactions: Pro-Hunt

·
Registered
689 Posts
My current truck has the rear air. I am very happy as the ride with the camper is far better than the other trucks I have had with leaf spring suspensions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Love mine! softer ride when unloaded as previously stated.

Reactions: Pro-Hunt

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love my air ride as well. Rides far better loaded than my old setup with Firestone Ride Rite bags.

Another benefit is that it only took 1/2" taller springs to level for my 35's. I can still fit in lots of parking garages that I couldn't with a 2-3" leveling kit with 37's.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Aside from ride quality, not having to readjust the headlights every time, depending on the load, is worth the price of admission, I think.
Not that the factory base headlights are likely to blind anyone, but still.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased my truck new in 2017. Dually, Aisin, puck kit and air bag suspension. I tow a fifth wheel so I use the dump feature to lower the bed before hooking up. Lately I would get an error that the payload was too light so the truck would not dump the bags. I knew something was off just not sure what. My truck then developed a horrific ride to the point I thought the tires were out of balance. I spent $150 to get them re-balanced. Truck still rode terribly. I thought maybe the shocks were bad so I replaced them. ($450.00 for the shocks and my labor) The shocks for trucks with air suspension are almost impossible to find right now!! Truck still rode terribly so I decided to take it into the dealership. They finally determined that the control module for the air management system was bad. $1,200.00! I have 38,000 miles on my truck so no warranty! Haven't picked up the truck yet so I'm looking forward to having it ride the way it should.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Lately I would get an error that the payload was too light so the truck would not dump the bags. I knew something was off just not sure what.
That's how my '18 always was, and how I thought they all were. On mine it would take a fair amount of load to even get to the alternate trailer setting.
I don't think I ever did try transport mode to deflate the springs.

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I used transport mode today to hook up the travel trailer. I only had alternate mode not work once. I had the trailer cord plugged into the truck but trailer hitch not hooked up yet. For whatever reason truck did not want to move but it always works with nothing hooked up or with trailer fully hooked up. I don’t find alternate mode helpful unless I’m trying to level out our travel trailer if it’s extra loaded.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I used transport mode today to hook up the travel trailer. I only had alternate mode not work once.
Yeah, on a 2500 it works fine, but a 3500 has to have enough weight to overcome the leaf springs.

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
Only time I use alternate height anymore is if some jackass drops a trailer with the adjustable part of the legs sucked all the way up and the hydraulic part all the way down so there is no more extension and I can't get under it at full truck height.

Other than that, I run at regular height towing, I feel like it rides better, maybe it has more travel that way.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Other than that, I run at regular height towing, I feel like it rides better, maybe it has more travel that way.
It does have more suspension travel, obviously, but the ride quality comes from having a larger amount of air in the springs supporting the same weight.

Reactions: 7492

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's how my '18 always was, and how I thought they all were. On mine it would take a fair amount of load to even get to the alternate trailer setting.
I don't think I ever did try transport mode to deflate the springs.
Same here, I assumed it was normal. It doesn't bother me and it will adjust once my 5th wheel is hooked up so never thought twice about it.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah, on a 2500 it works fine, but a 3500 has to have enough weight to overcome the leaf springs.
3500s have Transport mode as well?

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
3500s have Transport mode as well?
Good question. I'll have to check that.
It sure wouldn't be as efficient as on a 2500, but if the feature is already in the programming...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts