Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did one of these ever exist on a 12 valve? I want one in the worst way (most people having seen road warrior would agree). So maybe in an industrial app or??? If anyone has any idea, please tell.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You'd have to have a dependable air supply to run the air starter. I'll never have one. Friend had one on a 318 Detroit, and if it didnt kick off in 3 seconds, he was stuck til he got the portable air tank, filled the truck tank, and tried it again. Sometimes took 10minutes to do what an electric starter could have done in 10seconds.

DP

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
No kidding... Air starters are pretty obsolete...

I'd go the Coffman starter route. Load a few hot 12 gauge blanks, pull the trigger, and BLAM!

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's totally doable, I was just looking at some the other day but forgot the company's name that made them. You could use the second starter hole (I think there's one right?) and mount it there as a backup or primary and use the electric as a backup. You'd just need a compressor and a tank (which you also need for train horns anyway!). No big deal I think, just have to want it bad enough.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! Yes! exactly! I'm already going to have an air tank for road side service using an engine driven compressor. So lots of air on board. Second starter hole? Is there? The spot you bar the engine from you mean?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Oooh, now I'm interested.

If there was a company that made air starters for the 12 vallve, then all I'd have to do to make a Coffman starter is replace the air tank with a shotgun...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm. Not sure what your saying.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
there was some one that did this to a 7.3 power stroke the air starter alone was $4600 and thats when the coolness part of it departed the whole thing idk the guy must have had a lot alot of money burning a hole in his pocket haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
What are the advantages for an air starter over electric?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The wicked sound they make, thats about it

·
Registered
15 Posts
we have had them on are bigger trucks they ran off air brake system and yes they did run down but what we did is just add a small one cylinder gas motor that ran a one cylinder air pump which brought up air in the brake system it took like 2-3 min but yes they are way cool to hear start never had to replace one really never had any promblems with them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is no advantage. They suck compared to electric but they sound awesome and you'd definitely stand apart from the crowd when you went to start your truck (puting it mildly!).

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
But if you're just looking for cool, a shotgun starter would be WAY cooler than an air starter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
yes Begle, it would be the utmost in coolest but it'd be illegal in CA and MA. Other than that, I agree. My monthly expenditures in shotgun shells would be astronomical I know this much. I believe I'd shut my truck down at every red light just so I could start it again. Come to think of it, if I could get an air starter, I probably would do the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.