Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I traded my 2016 2500 for a 2018 3500 HO AS68RC with rear auto level air suspension. I did not notice it for the first week or so but have now noticed on occasion I hear a noise like the compressor is releasing air pressure. Almost sounds like an air brake on a semi. I am fairly certain it is coming from the compressor, but anyone else have the same sound, or know for certain what it is?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the same truck when I unload the camper I leave the truck on fast idle so it will release the bags and I don't have to lift the camper so high. Maybe there is noise and I;m not hearing it because of the noise from the engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
All the people that think the truck is a closed Nitrogen system here you go.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
Or, just fill it from a compressor with a good air dryer.
Supposedly some have just refilled the system with the on-board compressor, too.

Not sure why Ram is so picky about the air being completely dry, or if it's all to keep the compressor from running too long.
But no matter what goes in there initially, it'll eventually be all regular air.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Supposedly some have just refilled the system with the on-board compressor, too.

Not sure why Ram is so picky about the air being completely dry, or if it's all to keep the compressor from running too long.
But no matter what goes in there initially, it'll eventually be all regular air.
Yup, just showing him how it starts out officially, but, in the end, it’ll just be 78.1% nitrogen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would think that any issues should be covered under the 3 yr warranty or is it 5 yrs I also wondered if after so many years a person could replace that system with a regular spring pack.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I would think that any issues should be covered under the 3 yr warranty or is it 5 yrs I also wondered if after so many years a person could replace that system with a regular spring pack.
There's a rumour somewhere on here about someone doing it on another forum I believe. Just spreading that rumour some more.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I completely bleed mine down to add spacers under the bags to get 2" of lift, I fired the truck up and it filled the system and leveled my truck perfect (I also extended the rod 2.125" or whatever it was to compensate for the spacer)

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Moisture in the air will freeze in locations other than the USA. Also compressing water is hard.

Ram needs to warranty these suspensions and not have to replace them every winter.

R.K.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
Moisture in the air will freeze in locations other than the USA. Also compressing water is hard.

Ram needs to warranty these suspensions and not have to replace them every winter.

R.K.
If the tanks had a drain, like they rightfully should have, you'd notice that compressed air going through a small orifice will freeze even at relatively high temperatures, anywhere.

But since most Ram owners couldn't possibly be bothered with a manual tank drain, we're stuck with what Ram offers.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

R.K.
If the tanks had a drain, like they rightfully should have, you'd notice that compressed air going through a small orifice will freeze even at relatively high temperatures, anywhere.

But since most Ram owners couldn't possibly be bothered with a manual tank drain, we're stuck with what Ram offers.
I haven’t had an issue with the suspension freezing, only a couple brief errors after bringing it inside at work for a short time in the dead of winter. I could see it causing issues where you’re sitting around the freezing point for extended periods. We just go way below that and stay there for a few months

1 - 20 of 29 Posts