Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 93 w250 a month ago and started fixing all of the things the kid I bought it from had rigged. I've had a common rail for the last 7 years and this is my first ve pumped cummins. The question I have is about the air line that goes to the top of the pump. The guy I bought it from has removed the line and put a screw in it to block the hole.
What does the air line do and does it have to have it?? The truck runs great...smokes under acceleration a little but not terrible. Please help I'd hate to damage the pump if the line is needed.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thats the AFC (air/fuel control) line. The boost pressure pushes a fuel pin down to give more fuel as boost rises.

As far as it needing to be there, if the truck runs good without it it probly is'nt hurting anything being unhooked. If you plan on getting it hooked up again, you may have to do some adjustments to the starwheel and smoke screw if it smokes without the line.

Reactions: SMOKEY07

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
That line is a boost reference line. It provides boost PSI to the AFC on the pump. If the AFC has been gutted and the lever broken or bypassed. The referencelineisn't needed.

I would hook it up and see if the AFC is still working before tearing the pump top off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can that line be bought anywhere? I didn't even no it was missing until last week. Since I've had the truck I've put a hx35 turbo and a 4" diamond eye exhaust on it. It smoked like a train before I put the turbo on it but the old turbo was DUMPING oil in the intercooler so I figure that was causing a lot of the smoke

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could do that, thanks a lot. I'll go to the parts store tomorrow to get some barbs and vacum line. Why would the kid have removed the aft line? I do know before I bought I test drove it and he had done something to the fuel pin so it was pouring fuel out of the pump at idle. I made him put the stock pin back in before I bought it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.