Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 3500 H.O. AISIN crew limited 4x4
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? I got these installed a few days ago. The passenger side is worse than the driver. This is we 5 pounds of pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
If it was mine I'd shim or do something to try and make them straighter. I've put air bage on my last 5 trucks and always try having them straight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The problem with bolt on parts is that they never are going to be 100% accurate. If you paid for that job it is un acceptable!! I see room for adjustment or perhaps remove those bolts and weld the perches in place. The normal weight of the bed is slowly going to give them uneven wear. They should inflate and deflate straight up and down. Anything other than that is going cause pre mature wear. I fabricate everything my self using degree angle wether it’s a full four link or a simple load level kit. It’s not the end of the world but it would never leave my shop like that. Definitely fix it either way to prevent high pressure headaches in the near future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with bolt on parts is that they never are going to be 100% accurate. If you paid for that job it is un acceptable!! I see room for adjustment or perhaps remove those bolts and weld the perches in place. The normal weight of the bed is slowly going to give them uneven wear. They should inflate and deflate straight up and down. Anything other than that is going cause pre mature wear. I fabricate everything my self using degree angle wether it’s a full four link or a simple load level kit. It’s not the end of the world but it would never leave my shop like that. Definitely fix it either way to prevent high pressure headaches in the near future.

I did have the local truck accessories shop do it. I was thinking along the points you made. I’ll swing it back by the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah that would be a good idea..... don’t let them tell you it’s because there isn’t enough air or they will settle ....... That kit looks like it has the set bolts to hold in place for weld on. Either way they need to come away from the leafs and be aligned.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That installation is completely unacceptable. I would be very hesitant to have that same shop do more work on your truck. I would suggest you find a local welder / fabricator, and have them give you a quote for correctly aligning and welding the air bag perches. I'd then take that quote to the shop that originally did the installation and see if they will refund you that amount.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 2500
236 Posts
Mine were installed like that, it’s how the Firestone brackets were fabricated.

The problem was that I figured it was ok because they were “engineered” like that for my truck.

I put 12lbs of air to level my trailer and went camping. What a nightmare. I have a 2500 with coils in the rear and the amount of sway the bags induced was scary, they are trying to push the axles away side to side when inflated. Totally unsafe.

I have since removed them until I can either fabricate some brackets or buy timbrens instead. Anyone else have a similar experience?
2E4348AB-CD33-4D01-9BEF-8829D2CF883F.jpeg
C88BCBF6-8047-4E4B-A7F1-A1F0CA7F65ED.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts

The problem was that I figured it was ok because they were “engineered” like that for my truck.

I put 12lbs of air to level my trailer and went camping. What a nightmare. I have a 2500 with coils in the rear and the amount of sway the bags induced was scary, they are trying to push the axles away side to side when inflated. Totally unsafe.

I have since removed them until I can either fabricate some brackets or buy timbrens instead. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Precisely my point. I believe these brackets were intended to be weld on with set bolts for alignment while tacking. Angle,degrees, and alignment clearances are critical. Smaller cars and trucks you can get away with a lot but the payload and the weight alone on these trucks can potentially put you in a dangerous situation. As I said before it will cause pre mature wear on the units themselves or kick all that weight on your drivetrain ultimately leading to VERY costly repairs down the road. Thanks for stating your experience with these captain bolt on shops. Support your local independent fabricators if possible ......... it’s worth spending a few extra bucks. Be very weary on what these glorified tire shops are trying to sell to people. If the man selling this stuff don’t have grease under his fingernails than think twice lol
Here is mine it looks custom but it’s pretty much bone stock because of towing.
  • Front is one inch higher than stock
  • Rear un touched other than load level bags
  • Wheels and tires and that’s...... it simple and functional no change in the geometry of the drive train all done by my own two hands

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Precisely my point. I believe these brackets were intended to be weld on with set bolts for alignment while tacking. Angle,degrees, and alignment clearances are critical. Smaller cars and trucks you can get away with a lot but the payload and the weight alone on these trucks can potentially put you in a dangerous situation. As I said before it will cause pre mature wear on the units themselves or kick all that weight on your drivetrain ultimately leading to VERY costly repairs down the road. Thanks for stating your experience with these captain bolt on shops. Support your local independent fabricators if possible ......... it’s worth spending a few extra bucks. Be very weary on what these glorified tire shops are trying to sell to people. If the man selling this stuff don’t have grease under his fingernails than think twice lol
Here is mine it looks custom but it’s pretty much bone stock because of towing.
  • Front is one inch higher than stock
  • Rear un touched other than load level bags
  • Wheels and tires and that’s...... it simple and functional no change in the geometry of the drive train all done by my own two hands

What brand bags did you install?

·
08 Cummins
2,217 Posts

Looking at your pictures, you problem looks like your axle is not centered. You axle looks like it's shifted to the drivers side at least 1/2"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at your pictures, you problem looks like your axle is not centered. You axle looks like it's shifted to the drivers side at least 1/2"
How does that happen! Truck has 300 miles on it

·
08 Cummins
2,217 Posts
How does that happen! Truck has 300 miles on it

His track bar mount says Thuren Suspension on it so the suspension has evidently already been modified. I'm guessing it's an adjustable track bar that is not properly adjusted or not the correct track bar length for the amount of lift he has on the truck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
His track bar mount says Thuren Suspension on it so the suspension has evidently already been modified. I'm guessing it's an adjustable track bar that is not properly adjusted or not the correct track bar length for the amount of lift he has on the truck.
Gotcha. I thought he was commenting on my truck.

That’s their extended Panhard for 2500’s. Puts it at a more parallel level. Didn’t realize it moves the axle over like that. From memory on my 2500 it’s not adjustable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On 2019 and up I’ve seen a lot of different combinations. They put these trucks together with different parts due to part shortages

3,218 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ram 2500
236 Posts
Gotcha. I thought he was commenting on my truck.

That’s their extended Panhard for 2500’s. Puts it at a more parallel level. Didn’t realize it moves the axle over like that. From memory on my 2500 it’s not adjustable.

It was not off center, my sway bar is what was off from my Banks rear cover install (sway bar needs to be shimmed out) it has been fixed since.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 2500
236 Posts
We discussed SAP2018's leaning air bag issues several months ago. Firestone airbags and trailer sway related?

It doesn't look like he tried any of the suggestions.
My axle is centered, confirmed with a laser. It was my mistake of not attaching the sway bar correctly after the Banks rear diff install. It has been addressed and I should have mentioned that in the past post. I apologize.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took it back in and got it fixed today..... I took this pic after i got home.

Looks like I have a weekend project to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts