Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article from a magazine where they tested multiple intakes on an '04 5.9, and they showed a silencer that was in the stock intake system. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my '08 would have this same silencer in the intake tube which most likely restricts air flow also. I know I could just buy an aftermarket intake, but if I can get better air flow and sound without spending $350 and just put in a performance filter instead, since technically an aftermarket system gets air from the same location as the stock system. Thanks.

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
the new tubes do have this, i didn't look too close at mine as it hit the floor of my shop to tell if it could be removed or not, next time i am home i will look. this idea does not seem too bad, there are other restrictions in the stock tube though, tighter bends, more disturbed air flow etc.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I am not certain on the 08's but I would bet they have the same setup.
The bigger portion of the air intake tube if you follow the air downstream from the air filter box on your truck toward the turbo(VGT). Right after the air filter box you have a rubber tube take a bend into a bigger portion, the top geardrive hose clamp on this bigger portion needs to be loosened off and remove the top of this bigger portion of the intake tube.

Then once you can see inside, you should see a foam covered item, that will be the silencer. Just take a pair of pliers and grab the hard plastic center cross section and give it a good snug yank and slide it out. Then just install the top back on with a light coat of grease on the hose to make the fit more even and huck up good and firm and make a good seal when you clamp this all back down.

Now when I did mine I also loosened the top of the air filter box and let it and the rubber hose that connects to this larger section come off all together and lay it up and over the top of the other hoses and such on the 6.7...

This will allow you to hear the turbo much better and we are all sure it breathes much better LOL... Then for another cheaper mod to follow up this one, just install the 5.9 cummins filter in the air box and it helps also. Way easy and cheap quick fix for better intake air...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
The 08s still have all that crap in them but you can pull the big center section off and just pull most of it right out of the tube. There is also a silencer ring on the turbo and they got smart and epoxy'd it in so it is very hard to remove. Just pulling the crap out of the center section will give you some more turbo whistle but it is nothing near what you would get in the earlier 5.9 trucks.....
Those aftermarket intakes for the 6.7 are crazy expensive too!! I'm looking for a smaller BHAF that I can connect to my stock intake tubing and just hang down inside the stock airbox base... Anybody got any ideas on that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought and installed an AFE Pro 5 filter, and I was thinking about getting their Torque booster tube to replace the stock one but they don't make it for the 6.7 yet. Thanks for the replies.

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
I bought and installed an AFE Pro 5 filter, and I was thinking about getting their Torque booster tube to replace the stock one but they don't make it for the 6.7 yet. Thanks for the replies.
AFE megga cannon and torque tube was installed back in October.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts