Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me how an intake system (something like an AFE Stage 2) works? It looks like a large filter with a 3 sided box around it to enhance air flow. If so, why not just build your own and save the $300? :confused013:

· Registered
691 Posts
You got it- bigger (round) filter or cone, better airflow less restrictive. Atleast that's what there supposed to do. The stock box flows as good tho unles your making tons of power.
The great thing about them is that they can get wet (afe pg7) and be okay as well as making your turbo whine.

· Premium Member
4,719 Posts
they do flow better for higher hp applications..

and a ton of people do make their own (BHAF) but the reason alot of people buy them is that it looks alot better than he home made ones. but fuctionally they are about the same

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought.
Okay, I'm gonna try and make my own with a box and everything. I'll post pics as I go then we'll see if it's worth posting!!

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, not anything terribly awesome, but here's what I've done so far:
Napa wanted $80 for a filter and would have to order one in, so I found one (but smaller) at Advanced Auto for $45.
I then went over to Home Depot and got a 3" 90* elbow for $4.
I took off the stock air box and drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle of the elbow bend. Be careful with PVC as everything sticks to it.
Pre-drill two 1/8" holes on either side of the 1/2" hole and you can use the stock screws to fasten down the sensor.
Insert the sensor and screw her down tight, put your filter on one end and clamp, the clamp the other end into your intake. Easy Squeezy Lemon Peesy.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that the filter is smaller then ones I've seen before. But with my silencer ring MIA, and the baffles punched out of the intake tube, this thing sounds like a 747 taking off! Pretty cool.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.