Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is getting an air intake on an 03 HO 48re dually worth it? i know on a 6.0 powerstroke an air intake isnt really worth buying because the stock air intake is pretty good... unless you have 500+ hp (my truck came with it when i bought it). but if it is worth buying, is there one that is better than others? the 03 is stock except straight exhaust. thanks guys. plan on getting a diablo predator soon as well as gauges, just wondering about the intake...

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you have the truck already then change your sig:thumbsup: i just installed a modified willys whistler intake tonight, and its worth it for the instant spoolup time alone..oh, not to mention the turbo screaming.:headbang:havent checked fuel mileage yet, once i learn to leave my foot outta it i will check it..but it has got to flow better then stock, they are pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea... i heard the aem brute force hd was good. ive never heard of the willys whistler

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Its a homemade intake. Search for it. There is a thread on here somewhere I beleive.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
ditto on the aem brute force. i did my exhaust first and noticed improvement after installing my aem. my mpg also increased. be sure and remove silencer ring for a wonderful turbo sound!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I understand the stock air filter flows good (around 600 cfm), it is the stock air box that is restrictive. If your concerned about costs, drill a 3-4 inch hole or drill many smaller holes in the bottom of the box to increase air flow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Might as well get it first you will need the air flow when you start
moding your truck , to help keep egt temps in check, never seen any fuel milage increase with it ,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea it was just something i was thinking about getting before i chipped my truck. but i just wasnt positive if buying an air intake was worth it, as i wont be modding my truck more than a chip and gauges for a long time

·
Registered
155 Posts
on mine, i didnt really notice any performance gain, or mpg, but the sound is worth it:lol4:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
you are going backward touching the intake side of the turbo leave it stock . deleting the grid heaters and changing to a cfm+ is good

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a S&B CAI...love it!! better MPGs, lower EGTs, good filtration, and love the sound...like music to my ears.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
A lot of people have imaginary increases in power and MPG's and magical lower EGT's when they get a so called cold air intake. Testing has actually shown the stock intake to be VERY efficient. Inless you are upping the power a lot, keep the stock box. TDR (turbo diesel register magazine) has done a lot of testing and the stock box holds its own very well.

I will say this though, the turbo sounds MUCH better if you open up your intake tube. The stock tube as a "silencer" in it, which takes out a lot of the turbo whistle.

Reactions: Bad V2

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
build your own intake. you can buy and build it for alot less than what these cost you would be amazed. I built something similar to the willys whistler for about 300 cheaper than a big stage 2 system

·
Registered
394 Posts
X2 On the S&B. I gained a solid 1 mile per gallon with it and I am very critical of my mileage. I have the MPG, Avg MPH, driving conditions, station/pump # and price per gallon logged on every fill up since new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of people have imaginary increases in power and MPG's and magical lower EGT's when they get a so called cold air intake. Testing has actually shown the stock intake to be VERY efficient. Inless you are upping the power a lot, keep the stock box. TDR (turbo diesel register magazine) has done a lot of testing and the stock box holds its own very well.

I will say this though, the turbo sounds MUCH better if you open up your intake tube. The stock tube as a "silencer" in it, which takes out a lot of the turbo whistle.
yea i am hoping for more turbo sound. i noticed a big difference when i straight piped my exhaust on turbo sound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know this is old but gonna add my experience with the intake. The air filter is for sure a restriction. All I dude was tune my truck + lift pump as supporting mod and the engine sucked the air filter into the intake tube lol. I’m pretty sure by default it’s pretty restrictive.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,775 Posts
Was it a new/clean filter?

I used S&B CAI for years because when I researched, it (CAI) was what was being recommended for the best mpg.
Fast forward 10 years and lots of info on OEM being good for up to about 500HP and with the new 4" media = better results.
So I thought what the heck, went back to the OEM filter, added the DPP Cool tube, and realistically gained +/-1.5mpg.
I run Smarty S-06 on catcher #7, Boost is set to 32psi max.

FYI You don't have an HO engine, 2003 and 2004 are the only years with an HO option.
From 2004.5 on only 1 engine available, the standard 5.9 325hp.

Some salespeople add HO because it sounds good.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You have to weigh the pros and cons. Most "cold air intakes" actually suck hot air, so depending on the time of year and how hot they hurt mpg.

Then comes the issue of how restrictive is it to how well it filters. A K&N for example has a high flow rate, but it filters like garbage. Like really really bad. Great way to dust a motor. Something like the WIX in the stock intake, while more restrictive, also gives really good filtering.

That said, even the Wix which is one of the most restrictive filter brands for a drop in right now, you won't be sucking it into the intake tube unless you've let it clog up or get damaged.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
My friend's got the S&B. It dresses up the engine compartment nicely but he hasn't seen any improvement in mpg or performance. The owner prior to him had a reusable AFE flat panel drop in. The turbo was oiled to the max.My hearing high sounds are sacked so even with the Cool Blue Hose I can't here any turbo whine. I haven't seen any mpg improvements with EFI,Cool Hose or the Home Depot mod.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts